Will Apple replace my Battery in a new iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by docprego, Jul 25, 2013.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Just dropped Sprint and switched to T-Mobile. Best move I ever made, the difference is night and day. The issue I am facing is that my battery life on my new iPhone 5 is very poor compared to the one I had been using on Sprint. I tried all of the various suggestions I found online but to no avail. I am VERY pleased with my iPhone otherwise and don't want to risk getting another one with potentially other issues. Can Apple simply replace the battery in my T-Mobile iPhone 5 in store? I made a Genius bar appointment for tomorrow hoping that this will be possible. On another note I NEVER had LTE on Sprint and was always connected via 3G. Could the fact that I am now ALWAYS on LTE be affecting battery life that much?

Thanks

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

What kind of battery life are we talking about (and what was it like before with the other phone)?

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Can they? yes

will they? Only if their testing gear shows it's a failed battery.

4. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

About 4 hours of screen on usage and 12 hours of standby. For comparison the latest set of data on my Sprint model was 11 hours 18 minutes of usage and 2 days 18 hours of standby (which admittedly is a LOT more than I reasonably expect out of my new one).

To reiterate the Sprint model was always connected to wifi or 3G. The T-Mobile one is always connected to wifi, 4G, and LTE. On the Sprint phone I didn't specifically turn off any features at all. On the T-Mobile one I have tried deactivating various settings such as Bluetooth and push email but it hasn't seemed to make any difference that I can discern.

I have a Genius appointment in 90 minutes and will update this thread with any developments.

5. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

6. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

That's good for a new iPhone 5. The battery needs some calibration before it actually lasts as long as apple intended it to do so or close to it. Wait 1-2 weeks and try to run the battery below 10% or dead 8-10 times. Report back.
    This problem is normal for most new iPhone users.

8. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I had my Genius appointment and they ran the phone through some sort of diagnostic testing. It came back absolutely normal with no problems noted.

Today I have noted an improvement in my battery life over the previous days. At the moment I have 26% battery left and my stats are as follows:

Usage: 3 Hours, 48 Minutes
    Standby: 9 Hours, 38 Minutes

This would indicate that I could expect approximately 5 hours of screen on time today which is the best I have seen yet and seems pretty good to me.

So what changed? For one I reset my phone using the option to erase all settings and data. My phone was not setup from a backup to begin with but I read testimonials from many people who said that this helped so i figured I'd try. I also went into my settings and disabled push notifications for any apps that I was not concerned about receiving them from, which was most. I also did the same with location services except for those that I felt truly needed it. Lastly I have been running my phone completely out of power and then fully charging it to 100%, I have done this 3 times.

I'm not sure which factor made the largest impact on my battery life but I am seeing much better results. It's probably a combination of them all.

9. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I think running the battery down to 0% is the biggest factor right now for your pickle. Turning off location services for apps helps a little.

I have dark sky's and Storm Shield weather radio and a data tracking app that use my location/GPS a lot. I get about 6-8 hr of usage a day. Which is outstanding IMO.