Will apple replace my battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manofmany, Apr 13, 2009.

1. manofmany macrumors newbie

I've got a Macbook Pro with applecare until 2010. The battery has 189 cycles on it and it will only stay charged for about 45 minutes or so and that's only if I lightly use it. During heavy use and having airport/bluetooth on it lasts only about 30 minutes. Is it likely they will replace it or should I just suck it up and buy a new battery?

2. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I would definitely give it a shot. I say you got a decent chance.

3. manofmany thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. The thing is, the closest Apple store is 30 minutes away. I was told on another forum if it has less than 300 cycles there is a good chance they will replace it. I just really don't want to have to stand around 45 minutes so they can make sure :p

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

5. manofmany thread starter macrumors newbie

I just used battery health monitor and it shows I've got 54% capacity remaning after 189 cycles.

6. Miura macrumors member

i just received a new battery form apple today, and my old one was only at 62% after 219 cycles so you should get one as well

7. manofmany thread starter macrumors newbie

Just called apple and they are sending a new one out. They had me send them my System Profile info. They said they usually only cover batteries up to a year but since its been 16 months and 189 cycles and mine is only charging to 54% they were granting an exception.

New one ships out tomorrow. I'm loving apple :)

8. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

FYI, you can make an appointment with a Genius, so you don't have to wait. But it looks like things are all good.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Congrats on the good news, I am wondering if they will do the same for the 17".

11. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I would hope so, considering those batteries are supposed last twice as long......

12. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

One Man's opinion

I've had a 17" MBP for over a year and Apple has been great in replacing parts including my battery, charger, logic board (twice!), hard drive AND my 30" Cinema Display (twice!). ugh.

Indeed, Apple has great service but the myth of how good the hardware is, is just that...a myth.

In contrast, my wife's Dell laptop had 1 service call in 3 years: a keyboard replacement. And since she runs XP, there has been no OS issues either.

:confused:

13. manofmany thread starter macrumors newbie

I was very surprised the woman granted the exception based upon my previous and only experience with apple. Basically my 2.33ghz MBP was broke out of the box and I had to send it in and it got lost in some department. Fortunately, I knew a guy on IRC who was able to finally get me a replacement authorized after 35 days and it came with a complimentary shuffle :rolleyes:

Either way, I'm very happy. I hope if anything breaks, it breaks before January 2010