Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I'm not sure if this is conincidence but both my first gen and 3g iphone's earphone broke after around 8-10 months of use. I keep them in good condition and never dropped it in water or anything. Basically only one side would have sound, but the button would still work. I bought the replacement for the first gen, but now the second time it's kinda ridiculous. Will they replace it for me?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Someone I knew had theirs replaced, not sure what the reason was though.

Mine are falling apart.. like the rubber around the earbud is falling off and I want a new pair.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
First, get a toothpick or paperclip and GENTLY poke around in the jack on the iPhone.

My headphones "broke" but it turned out it was pocket lint in the jack blocking one of the connectors. (In my case it was the button that stopped working.)

Give that a try first.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I tested it with another earphone so its not the phone.

Cool. The first Apple genius I took it to just gave me new headphones. I foolishly didn't try them until I got home (the store was busy) so I had to go back later since it obviously didn't fix anything.

The second genius I saw discovered the lint problem.

Anyway, my point is, the first guy DID give me new headphones, so I'd say you have a good chance.

EDIT: You should probably check for lint anyway. If they check and find any (even if it's not causing the problem) they may try to claim that was the problem. It's probably best to avoid that whole issue by cleaning it out yourself first.

Bluisnblklungs

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
not trying to be mean or anything but i might be smarter to use dust off to clean out the jack vs. poking around with a paper clip thought its just a thought:rolleyes:.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
apple store replaced mine in case anyone else ran into this problem.

Shawn D

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2008
they are pretty good about replacing stuff after applecare, if anyone else has any problems with them i'd just take them in and get them replaced, thats what I did.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Yeah. AppleCare's pretty great.
Whoa.
I just noticed that when I said AppleCare's
it was like Apple Cares. :p

saturnino3

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2005
Oakland, CA
If your iPod/iPhone are still under warranty, you can either request replacement headphones to be sent via DHL through apple.com/support (you have to give your credit card info although no charges are made) or you can head down to your nearest Apple Store. I've done this many, many times over the years since the headphones are not of a very high quality.

The Genius Bar guy was somewhat of a douchy character as he took out the SIM card to make sure it was AT&T, double checked I didn't have Cydia installed, and took a look at the firmware but he replaced them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.