Will Apple replace my iOS 8 bricked iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ihsaan, Jun 2, 2014.

1. ihsaan macrumors newbie

To start off, I am a registered developer and have been for years, I did have my iPhone 5S as one of the devices on my account as well.

I installed iOS 8 on my iPad without a hitch but as I was installing it on my iPhone 5S I received a generic message saying it could not be installed. Now it is stuck on the connect to iTunes Screen (recovery mode) but my computer (or any computer) doesn't recognize my device.

I have already tried multiple computers, lightning adaptors and putting the phone in DFU mode. Every time I try putting in DFU mode it cycles back to the connect to itunes screen with my Mac not recognizing any device connected (I made sure the timing was right with holding the power and home button).

My question is: If I take it to the Apple store, will they give me the cold shoulder b/c its iOS 8 or will they give me a replacement phone if they can't fix it since it is still under warranty?

2. chumps52 macrumors regular

During the iOS 7 Betas I took in my iPhone 5 with a screen issue and the Genius guy had to check with someone higher up but they did eventually just swap it out for a replacement using iOS 6.

3. Phoboss macrumors member

Brought in my iPhone 5 because of a broken homebutton with iOS7 beta on it. got a replacement no problem.

4. iWhut macrumors newbie

5. thinkclay macrumors newbie

Attempt failed

I bricked my iphone recently compiling a Swift app that tied in with some core accessibility features. I submitted the bug and the code to apple, have a ticket ID # and last weekend stopped by an apple store to try and get a swap. They wouldn't replace since the phone is out of warranty, and furthermore knew nothing about the apple developer program nor the bug tracker. Had a frustrating talk with a genius bare employee and what I recommend after that chat is this:

TL;DR: Get a customer satisfaction code applied to the notes in your account (specifically for your device serial) if you want to walk in and walk out with a new phone.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I don't know how much apple even checks what the iOS version is. I went in with a broken power button running a jailbroken OS and they replaced my phone without issue.

7. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

These cases are best handled by calling applecare. The store reps are not as familiar with this stuff. Also they are usually unwilling to do customer exceptions as you are sitting next to other customers who want an exception as well. Will piss off a lot of people.

8. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Anyone at an apple store giving service will and should try to unblock the phone. They have a tool that reads your phone and if it is running a unauthorized software version or something they don't have, you are screwed. But then most customer service reps put a high priority on making the customer happy.

9. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

This won't always work. The store has the final say on service no matter what AppleCare says. Most stores won't use the CS code because they take the hit, not AppleCare; it shows up on their exception report.

The whole "surprise and delight" thing pretty much died with APP+ when they started covering accidental damage.