Will Apple Replace My iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by FrHa, Jul 14, 2011.

1. FrHa, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

FrHa macrumors member

Hi everyone, I'm a new forum user, but have been reading MacRumors for about four years. I joined to ask you all a question and to get feedback on it.

I live in the UK, and bought an iPad2 64GB 3G on launch day. When I used it for the first time, the first thing I noticed was backlight bleed. It appears I have a fairly serious case of it, as the edges of the left and bottom parts of the screen have large white/yellow marks. But it gets even worse at the top right of the screen, where there is a huge backlight bleed mark, sprawling across the top right of the display, almost into the centre. I find it frustrating to look at the display, especially at night when watching YouTube videos with the letterbox bars (this is when it's most visible). I hadn't rung the Apple Store until now to complain because I heard they were out of stock of the iPad2 64GB 3G versions fairly often.

So I rung the Apple Store this morning about the issue, and they said that the best thing you can do is to make an appointment at the 'Genius Bar'. However, I'm a little apprehensive about doing this due to the fact I don't want to waste time and petrol to go to the Apple Store for something they potentially won't replace.

Do Apple replace iPad2's with backlight bleed? And if they do, how often? If it's any help, I've been using this iPad2 for about three and a half months.

Thanks

EDIT: I hope I'm posting in the right section of the forum. If not, may one with the power to do so move it to the appropriate section of the forum.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

From what I've read on here, Apple has said they will replace it once for bleed. It's up to you if you want to gamble with getting one that could be worse.

3. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

If you are going to go to the Apple Store you can check the replacement before you leave the store.

4. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

Ive read you only get 1 too.
    BUT i have exchanged my ipad2 THREE times.
    Two for backlight and One for the speaker.

Bring it back.
    You paid full price, you deserve a product that has ZERO defects.

5. FrHa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help! After ferreting around the net about the same question, seeing they may replace it, I booked a 'Genius bar' appointment but unfortunately, I arrived late, and the 'Apple Expert' was handling other customers so I wasn't able to reschedule. I said to a member of staff whom worked there that certain iPad2's are known for having backlight bleed, and I mentioned websites who reported the issue, like Engadget, and he said 'they don't know what they're talking about', and it needs to be examined by an: 'expert'. He also said: 'have you tried updating your software to fix your backlight bleed?'

Oh well, my fault for being late, going back to the Apple Store today to see what they can do.

6. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Wow, really? Which apple store was this?

Updating firmware to fix a known hardware flaw, that's just ridiculous!

7. FrHa thread starter macrumors member

LOl, I thought that!

Anyway, I went to the Apple Store, but I was late... again, so I booked another appointment for 30 minutes later. The 'Genius' was helpful and replaced it. Although, he said if the problem is there on the replacement iPad2, he couldn't replace it again, which sounds a bit corrupt. However, the backlight bleed on the replacement isn't nearly as bad. It's still there, but is definitely reduced.

Thanks for all the help.

8. info macrumors member

info

If you have improved it you probably are about as good as it is going to get. These screens aren't perfect and few people have even gotten close (to perfect). Your first one sounded really bad, and if the second one bothers you too much you can always try again. They say they will only replace it once, but Apple will bend over backwards to make you happy.

Again, a *little* bleed is the norm on the iPad 2.