Will Apple Replace my iPad 3 for a home button issue if...

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aheying7, Mar 31, 2013.

1. aheying7 macrumors member

Ok, so my iPad 3 is still under warranty until May. For a couple months the home button has been working extremely inconsistently. Every time I decide I'll take it to the Apple Store tomorrow, it works the next day. I have decided that since my warranty will expire soon I'm taking it in tomorrow no matter if it is working tomorrow or if it isn't. I have researched this "bug" online and I've read multiple posts of people having success with getting a replacement for the home button issue. My question is this: I have a fairly small chip in the right corner of the back shell of the iPad...do you think this will ruin my chances? I mean, don't they replace the shell and the battery before it can become a refurbished iPad anyways? I've read stories of both sides of issues like this. I think it will probably depend on the genius and their mood...

What do you guys think they will do? Personal experience would be great...

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

mine does the same thing yesterday was the worst today it's fine.

3. aheying7 thread starter macrumors member

Have you tried taking it to the Apple Store?

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I was going too but forgot to make an appointment.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's not the point. They reason they might refuse it isn't that they don't want to take back a blemished unit but that the damage is a sign of physical abuse which might void the warranty.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It can't hurt to try. Take it to Apple, explain the issue, don't mention the damage and let the genius make the call.

Oddly enough, this morning my home button stopped responding for a bit and its been almost year for me too. I've got Applecare on it though, so I'm going to wait for the issue to become more consistent before I bring mine in.

7. Allanb1985 macrumors member

Regardless of the fact your ipad has cosmetic damage there is still a fault with the home button. One of my friends has the same issue of the intermittent home button with his ipad 3 although his is in immaculate condition. He doesn't want to take his to apple for the fact that they will replace it with a "refurbished" unit. His point is that he paid in excess of £600 at the time for a 64gb model which was brand spanking new and apple will replace it with effectively a second hand unit. We all know that these refurbished units have brand new casing, screen and battery but its the principle of the matter.

8. poloponies, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

poloponies macrumors 68030

The "principle" being that the replacement is indistinguishable from a new unit and is better than the one he has, which has a noticeable defect? I've purchased many refurbished items from Apple, from iPods to iMacs and never did I consider any of them to be secondhand units. Your friend needs to rethink his position.

You need to keep in mind that Apple's obligation extends to fixing the problem. They can certainly take his unit, send it out for repairs and then return it to him but then he will need to surrender his iPad for a week or so. Under Apple's current system he gets an immediate replacement with a device that's cosmetically identical or superior and fully functioning. He's free to open the box, power it up and scrutinize the hell out of it in the store. He's also free to return it at any point under the duration of the original warranty for defects that may appear later.

9. Allanb1985 macrumors member

I completely understand what you are saying and I agree. If the same problem occurs with my 4th gen ipad then I will not think twice about going to apple for a replacement. With my friend it's the psychological part that gets to him. I totally respect the fact that Apple honour the warranty and replace the units, no other manufacturer to the best of my knowledge offers this service. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and if it breaks under warranty I will have to send it away to them for weeks on end for them to repair and send it back, totally unacceptable in my opinion.

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

And how long did he have it. It's one thing if its only a month old but someone going in with something they bought a year ago and demanding a new one is a bit of a jerk move. After all, they aren't bringing in a new one. It's the principle of the matter (and the terms they agreed to when they bought it even if they didn't read the terms)

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Correct. Although with the way the iPads as built that repair is not so easy and might take more than just a week. So their solution is the swap, which might be new or be a reconditioned unit, such you walked in with a used unit and potentially walk out with a used one that lacks the defect yours had. So there shouldn't be an issue since you agreed to this swap when you bought it (even if you didn't bother to read the legal terms)

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No you'll be fine. There actually thrown in a recycling bin lol

13. annaharris macrumors member

Regarding iPad 3

You should first consult about your iPad at any nearby Apple Store. As you have mentioned that your iPad is still under warranty then they will resolve your problem without asking a single penny.

14. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I had the same issue with my iPad 3. Whenever I scheduled an appointment with the Apple store for someone to take a look at it, it would start to work fine then act up again after a few days.

Two weeks before my warranty was up, I decided to just take it in. The guy who looked at it couldn't replicate the issue. I told him that I would not take it home only to have the issue creep up on me again--I told him to look at my previously cancelled/scheduled appointments.

He then told me that since I was not satisfied with the way it performed, they would replace it, which they did. I was on my way within 20 minutes.

Just be polite, patient, but firm with them.

15. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

hmm

i would take it in and give it a shot you won’t know till you try hopefully they can fix the button issue

16. stevemiller macrumors 65816

my iPad 3 home button has started requiring a much harder press to register. thankfully most things can be done via gestures on the ipad, however siri, which i use frequently for alarms and stuff, is nearly impossible to activate, as holding down the button seems to register as multiple presses rather than one long one.

anyway, i have apple care, but i'm feeling slightly reluctant to take it in. when i first bought the ipad, the unit had an uneven backlight that made one half of the screen much dimmer. got it swapped for what feels like a perfect screen to me.

does anyone know if they let you inspect a replacement device for any glaring flaws at the store?

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

The minute they hand it to you it's your device. You don't need anyone's permission to inspect it.

18. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i guess i should rephrase, if your replacement unit has something like an unevenly lit screen, can you ask to see another? i'd actually be more inclined to keep ipad with a wonky home button and good screen than trade it for one with a poor (but potentially "within spec") screen.