Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
over the past couple of months my phone has gradually been getting worse.

dropped calls. not getting calls u name it

ive been thru the ringer with at&T customer service and they are still "troubledshooting" the issue but its really not worth it to me when i can just go in the apple store and get the phone replaced

they told me that since im under a year i can technically get the phone replaced and that apple shouldnt give me any problems

is this true????

also i want to wipe the phone clean before i hand it over to them...
how can i back up and save all my music & data???

thanks

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, Apple will replace it if it is giving you considerable problems. To perform a back up, connect the iPhone to iTunes, and if it does not back up automatically, right click on the device in the sidebar, and click on Back Up. :)

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Yes, Apple will replace it if it is giving you considerable problems. To perform a back up, connect the iPhone to iTunes, and if it does not back up automatically, right click on the device in the sidebar, and click on Back Up. :)

do i need to make an appointment or can i just walk into the store

im thinking today is gonna b chaos cuz of the ipad

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009

BTW i just backed up my phone but where are all my files going to be stored once the backup is complete? (my photos, music, things htat ive put in my notepad....things ive entered in on the "todo" app , etc.)

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
do i need to make an appointment or can i just walk into the store

im thinking today is gonna b chaos cuz of the ipad

Yep, make an appointment online using the Genius Bar Reservation appointment for your local store;

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

BTW i just backed up my phone but where are all my files going to be stored once the backup is complete? (my photos, music, things htat ive put in my notepad....things ive entered in on the "todo" app , etc.)

Well the backup itself is stored at /User/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup, but you probably don't need to know that actual location. It will show right up in iTunes if you go into the preferences, and look at the devices tab. When you get your new iPhone, you can just sync the old backup across and everything will go with it. :)

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Yep, make an appointment online using the Genius Bar Reservation appointment for your local store;

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Well the backup itself is stored at /User/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup, but you probably don't need to know that actual location. It will show right up in iTunes if you go into the preferences, and look at the devices tab. When you get your new iPhone, you can just sync the old backup across and everything will go with it. :)

heres what i see when i go to the device tab

125lzeo.png

when i get my new iphone how do i sync the old backup to the new phone using the device tab? or will it do that automatically?

also the backup contains all my photos & music and everything right?

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
when i get my new iphone how do i sync the old backup to the new phone using the device tab? or will it do that automatically?

also the backup contains all my photos & music and everything right?

When you right click on your iPhone in iTunes, you can Restore from Backup. It contains photos but not music or apps because those are already kept locally.

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I've had my iphone for 4 months now.

The top left button that turns the ringer on & off wasn't working properly (kept turning on and off on and off) so I brought it in on Friday night at 5:30pm by 5:40 I had a new phone!!!

The dude behind the genius bar was more that cool and had no problem exchanging it for me. Even took the time to answer some addition questions I had.

It was nothing but an awesome experience for me.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I've had my iphone for 4 months now.

The top left button that turns the ringer on & off wasn't working properly (kept turning on and off on and off) so I brought it in on Friday night at 5:30pm by 5:40 I had a new phone!!!

The dude behind the genius bar was more that cool and had no problem exchanging it for me. Even took the time to answer some addition questions I had.

It was nothing but an awesome experience for me.

did u hav to bring any documentation?

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
When you right click on your iPhone in iTunes, you can Restore from Backup. It contains photos but not music or apps because those are already kept locally.

i dont see my music & my apps in my itunes locally? i only see it when i connect my iphone ? how do i make it so that it appears in my itunes locally?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.