Will Apple replace my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eddieowns, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Eddieowns macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3G, and was wondering if Apple would replace it with a new one. It has some dirt under the screen and dead pixels (like 5 or 6), and I wanted to know if they would take it back and replace it with another one. I have the white 16GB model. It had been dropped once, and has some dents and scratches on the back. Would they replace with a black model if I asked for one?

Also, I didn't purchase Applecare. Thanks.

2. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

It should be under warranty still, go to your local apple store and ask. Doesn't hurt to ask!

3. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

We would need pictures of the dents / scratches to really determine whether or not they will replace the phone.

If the dents are bad, you MAY be out of luck because they can use that as a reason for why the phone may have some dead pixels (due to the drop).

If the dents / scratches aren't bad at all, and if it is still under warranty, then yes they will replace it. They aren't going to replace it because of the dirt under the screen though.... they'll do it because of the dead / stuck pixels.

Good luck. PICS PLEASE?

4. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Bring the phone into an Applestore, and you might get lucky and get a new phone. I doubt they let you change the color though.

5. Eddieowns thread starter macrumors member

Well the only camera I have right now is my iSight. I thought Apple would be replace due to dirt under the screen (Since the user hadn't caused them). But the dent isn't bad, so I should be in luck.

Also, should I bring the box and restore the firmware? (It's Jailbroken)

6. svndmvn Guest

you shouldn't need the box,but bring it just in case,it is possible they would give you a black one instead.
    definitely restore, jailbreaking voids the warranty.

7. Eddieowns thread starter macrumors member

Well I plan on going to the Apple store tomorrow, and I want to know if I should keep all of my media and apps on there, or just completely restore it so I have the "connect to iTunes" picture on the screen.

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Do a back up on your iTunes before you go.

9. Eddieowns thread starter macrumors member

Okay, but should I leave my media and apps on it?

10. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You could leave it there, it should be alright. They do a wipe out anyway once they begin repairing it, unless you have some media that shouldn't be there :rolleyes:

11. Eddieowns thread starter macrumors member

I'm Jalibroken.

12. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Good thing you've said that since I missed your earlier post in parentheses, then yes you need to restore first your iPhone.