Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CosmicSerpent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
I bought a black iPhone 3GS 32GB from an AT&T store about a week ago. It's my first iPhone, and for the most part I've been happy with it...

Unfortunately I've had two minor problems:

1. The ring/vibrate switch is loose when in the vibrate position. I'm not sure if it was like that right out of the box, but I did notice it within 24 hours of purchasing the phone. I know this is a common problem, but I don't know what Apple's policy is on it.

2. My iPhone has completely frozen 3 times now. The first time it happened, I was browsing the MacRumors forums which I do all the time. The second and third times, I was listening to songs that I listen to all the time. It seems to happen completely at random, and it's unresponsive to buttons as well as the screen. Every time it happens, I wait a few minutes to see if it fixes itself and when it doesn't, I manually shut off the phone.

Other than that, my phone is in perfect condition. There are no scratches, the battery life is great, and I know the water sensors haven't been tripped.

If I walk up to the Genius Bar at an Apple store and tell them about these problems, will they give me a new phone? I don't have AppleCare or anything, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to pay $299 for an imperfect phone.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
They should replace it as long as you didn't purchase it any longer ago then 90 days I think. But I think they replace them with refurbished models not new ones.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
They wont give you a brand new phone, they might swap it out for a refurb.
You wont find the perfect iphone, and some even got worst iphones than the one they swapped out. Then its more back and forth.
If its not a major issue with the ringer switch then live with it. As far as the freezing its a software problem, do a restore.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
best way to find out

1 make appointment at the genus bar!

2 Call Apple customer service and talk to them!

here is a link to everything you need to contact Apple Support!. if you want to double check your water sensors before going search water sensors here or youtube is a good source one inside the headphone the other near the mike 2 more inside you can't get to.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm surprised only one person suggested trying a restore first.
See if a restore fixes your freezing problem before you swap it out for a potential problem phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.