Will Apple replace my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CosmicSerpent, Aug 2, 2009.

1. CosmicSerpent macrumors newbie

Jul 25, 2009
    I bought a black iPhone 3GS 32GB from an AT&T store about a week ago. It's my first iPhone, and for the most part I've been happy with it...

Unfortunately I've had two minor problems:

1. The ring/vibrate switch is loose when in the vibrate position. I'm not sure if it was like that right out of the box, but I did notice it within 24 hours of purchasing the phone. I know this is a common problem, but I don't know what Apple's policy is on it.

2. My iPhone has completely frozen 3 times now. The first time it happened, I was browsing the MacRumors forums which I do all the time. The second and third times, I was listening to songs that I listen to all the time. It seems to happen completely at random, and it's unresponsive to buttons as well as the screen. Every time it happens, I wait a few minutes to see if it fixes itself and when it doesn't, I manually shut off the phone.

Other than that, my phone is in perfect condition. There are no scratches, the battery life is great, and I know the water sensors haven't been tripped.

If I walk up to the Genius Bar at an Apple store and tell them about these problems, will they give me a new phone? I don't have AppleCare or anything, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to pay $299 for an imperfect phone.
  2. gatepc macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA
    They should replace it as long as you didn't purchase it any longer ago then 90 days I think. But I think they replace them with refurbished models not new ones.
  3. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

Dec 19, 2008
    Hamilton, Ontario
  4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    They wont give you a brand new phone, they might swap it out for a refurb.
    You wont find the perfect iphone, and some even got worst iphones than the one they swapped out. Then its more back and forth.
    If its not a major issue with the ringer switch then live with it. As far as the freezing its a software problem, do a restore.
  5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    All iphones carry a 1 year warranty starting from the day of purchase. Not 90 days.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA
    You are within your 14 day purchase period; take it in with your receipt, box and accessories and they'll get you a NIB iPhone. Good Luck...:cool:
  7. labman macrumors 604

Jun 9, 2009
    Mich near Detroit
    best way to find out

1 make appointment at the genus bar!

2 Call Apple customer service and talk to them!

here is a link to everything you need to contact Apple Support!. if you want to double check your water sensors before going search water sensors here or youtube is a good source one inside the headphone the other near the mike 2 more inside you can't get to.
  8. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I'm surprised only one person suggested trying a restore first.
    See if a restore fixes your freezing problem before you swap it out for a potential problem phone.