Will Apple replace my MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BIWmedia, Jul 9, 2009.

1. BIWmedia macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have a MBP that I purchased about a year ago from the online store with 3 years of AppleCare support.

Out of the box my computer had a line of overactive pixels. It is about a 5th of the way from the left side of the screen and changes color depending on what's being displayed underneath it and a random assortment of other variables. It is a straight vertical line from the top of the screen to the bottom and is pretty much always there. I neglected to get this fixed immediately because I desperately needed my laptop at the time, as my previous Dell was 4 years old and dead, and there is no Apple store nearby. I also was so excited to get the computer, so I didn't want to have to send it off immediately and wait another month to get it back.

In any case, there are other problems as well. Every so often my keys 'stick', but not physically, only on the screen. For example if I hit the 'volume up' key once on my keyboard, sometimes the volume will just shoot all the way up to full, or if I type a letter, occasionally it will not stop typing that letter until I hit another key on the keyboard to stop it.

My iSight camera also does not work anymore for no apparent reason. I found a way online to reset it by restarting and holding down a few keys (I don't recall the exact combo), but that doesn't even work anymore.

In addition, every time I use DashBoard, I usually get this message afterward: "The application DashboardClient has unexpectedly quit." When I click on the 'Report...' option it practically lists an essay on what happened, none of which I understand.

Cosmetically, the front button that unlocks the latch to open the lid is flaked off pretty bad and has been for awhile, and there is flaking on the right front, where I rest my arm...it's kind of annoying but probably just from constant use.

In hindsight I probably should have gotten the monitor replaced right of the bat, but I've gotten used to the line being there...however I would definitely like it to be fixed, especially with the amount of money I spent on the product.

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone has any predictions on the response of Apple, before I decide what action to take.

Thanks a lot for your time.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They will probably ask you to send it in and provide a box. They will fix the issues and send it back.

Standard "total replacement" policy is to have the same issue recur and fixed in a 1-year period.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

this is not true,

replacement policy is 3 major repairs. Always has been this way.

j

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Er, there is significant evidence that this is not standard, including personal experience. The definition of "major" is also ambiguous. Do you have a list of things they consider "major" repairs?

This guy didn't get a replacement, for example:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=594308

5. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I would guess Apple will replace the monitor if it's defective. I'm not quite sure what's up with the keyboard. The other issues will most likely be corrected by a wipe and install of OSX. I think they will only fix the issues and not replace it with a new one. As for the amount of time to service, I've found them very quick. I took my old MBP into the Apple store and it needed a new logic board which they don't do in-house. It was sent off to Apple and back within 2 days.

6. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I had Apple replace my iMac after two issues. The first time they replaced the HD and the second time they weren't sure what happened, so they replaced it.

7. NStocks macrumors 65816

How long had you owned it ? I'm currently waiting for a courier to collect my 17" MAcbook Pro for repair, due to a faulty hinge... less than 6 months old.

8. BIWmedia thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot guys. but i also forgot about another issue that recently just resurfaced...

my keys often wont type the letters when i hit them (its taking forever to type this), and then sometimes the keys just stick and keep repeating the key i just hit...and then in conjunction the mouse freezes...occasionally i can close the lid and re-open it and the mouse works again, but until i restart the computer the problem persists. often times there is no fixing the cursor freeze and i have to shut down and restart the system.

ive searched the forums and havent really found much of an answer for this particular combination of problems.

any ideas?? thanks again

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Sticky keys on the keyboard? Well, I...nah, that would be too easy. :D

10. lavinci macrumors 6502

The best way would be to contact Apple and find out. Sticky keys warrant an issue also you know.

11. fpnc macrumors 68000

I know that there was an issue with MacBook Pro keyboards that was triggered by using an external mouse. Try disconnecting the mouse and rebooting to see if the problem goes away. Unfortunately, I never heard of a resolution for this problem (other than perhaps by using a different mouse). This was happening on 15" MacBook Pros from a few years ago, NOT the current unibody models.

12. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Call Apple. You shouldn't be experiencing these issues. They will fix it.