Will Apple replace my macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GrizzleyT, Jul 18, 2010.

1. GrizzleyT macrumors newbie

Macbook pro bought in 2007, so my 3yr Applecare expires August 26th of this year.

History:
    internal USB on the fritz (keyboard/trackpad failing) - they replaced the top casing, refurbished keyboard and such

Physical HD failure
    - replaced Hard Drive

Poor battery performance
    - replaced battery

GPU failure
    -replaced logic board/GPU

Now, despite the 10.6.4 update, I am again seeing internal USB failure so I am going to apple tomorrow. I *also* have 3 minor lighter spots on my screen, in addition to the far row of pixels sometimes staying red (this only happens ~30 percent of the time, may be hard to emulate at apple)

I've heard of a '4 repairs' policy; does this mean 4 repairs of the same problem? It's just, I don't think anything in my macbook is original aside from the ram and the cpu (or is the latter soldered to the logic board?).

Extrapolating my track record, am I just going to have to start paying for all of these repairs after next month, or is any of this grounds to get a new computer?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

They may replace it, but don't expect them to. When you go in, explain to them that your machine has had more than 3 major repairs on it, and that you need a reliable computer. This computer is not acceptable. I expected it to last me 3 years without any problems, and obviously, it hasn't.

Take a picture of the abnormal (red) pixels, so that they can see it when you take it in if you cannot reproduce it.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

In my experience, the topcase replacement and battery won't count towards your count of major repairs. The current USB issues probably wouldn't count, either. They have replaced my machines upon submitting it for the fourth "major" repair, so I wouldn't be for certain that they'd give you a new one.

Granted, I'm not perfectly up-to-date with what qualifies as major and what doesn't. It still would be worth asking.

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Just be nice at the bar, and explain everything to the genius, and of course make clear that your machine is no longer reliable.

5. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

If you have a wife or girlfriend, just send it with them, you will get a brand-new MBP! Sad but true. :(

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

+1 that also works... :p

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Excellent idea, especially if the genius they end up with is a girl. :rolleyes:. Honestly, are you guys (the one's the have a job :rolleyes:) this stupid with females that approach you on your job? Would you do more than what your job allows you to do just because a pretty girl comes your way? You won't get anything in the end.

8. LightMast macrumors regular

It took 4 logic boards, one thermal unit, one keyboard, a trackpad, and a battery before they replaced mine. YMMV.

But, they did, and I really appreciate them doing it. Very much looking forward to the new machine. Had to pay for the i7 upgrade, but they gave me everything else, so I really dont mind the $200.

Bear in mind, they replaced the logic board a 4th time before replacing the machine, so the 3 major repairs rule is not necessarily reliable. I would only consider the logic boards to count for that guideline.

9. GrizzleyT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the prospects. Another minor problem I remembered— a fan can get very loud. Seriously, when I'm in ventrilo people comment, saying I'm using a vibrator. Is this something they'd even replace under warranty?

10. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well Ive been having many problems with a MBA recently and they said if it breaks one more time they will replace it. This is what I have had done:

1. harddrive replacement in Dec '09

2. sent in for screen replacement since the screen was distorted in June '10, repair was denied due to "dent" in the corner.

3. Took to apple store for screen issue the begining of July and they replaced the screen and the top case.

4. Got back a week later and the airport card was not working. Sent back to applecare.

5. Received back from applecare and the usb port doesnt work. Sending back today.

11. GrizzleyT thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, another issue I just noticed—
    [​IMG]

I read in another thread that to qualify for a new battery it's < %80 and under 1000 cycles. This is my second battery. Will I qualify for a new one? Have I been unlucky or is there something about my computer that may be draining battery life faster than it should?

edit: Will apple have a history of my repairs tied to my hardware serial? Or am I going to have to prove that they, for example, had to replace the hard drive?

12. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

They do have everything under that serial number, no worries.

13. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

It sure qualifies, that is for sure a defective battery

14. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

80% and 1000 cycles is for the new unibodies with non-user replaceable battery. 2007 machine should be 1year/300 cycles and 70% health so I don't think that counts.

15. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

He's right. Your battery is fine. You can argue about other reasons though. Tell them you can't wait till it gets repaired and you need a reliable computer.