Will Apple Replace my Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AirborneAngel, Jan 11, 2008.

1. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

I have a Black Macbook that I purchased recently (it is still under the 12 month warranty), there are several minor issues I have had with it. There are 2-3 dead pixels scattered around the screen, the bottom right edge of the MacBook's coating is beginning to flake off (where my right hand rests), but other than that everything works fine. So I was wondering whether or not Apple would be willing to replace this. (I don't want to sound picky, but this is going to be my computer for the next few years.) Thanks.

2. one1 macrumors 65816

No they will not. Apple has a very ugly policy on dead pixels, you'll need to kill off quite a bit more before they'll do anything for you.

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

You might have a gripe with the dead pixels, but I think they claim that they usually do not replace unless at least 7-8 dead pixels are present. As for the case, Apple does not warranty the bottom case. If you can prove that it flaked off and was not damaged or scratched, you might win the argument. They would most likely replace the parts rather than issuing a new computer.

The bottom line is that you wont know until you set up an appointment with a genius at an apple store.

Good luck!

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If the flaking isn't a result of scraping or other misuse, Apple will probably replace the case on your MacBook. You should mention the dead pixels when you take it in for a repair, but its hard to say wether or not they will replace the screen. Failing that, you may consider taking your MB to a local Apple authorized service provider (if there are any in your area). In my experience they are more liberal with repairs.

They probably will not replace the whole machine since its only flawed cosmetically.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Apple would probably say this is 'within spec'

I think, they would tell you it caused by excessive usage...
    Chances are they won't replace a machine that works perfectly fine but they might offer you a replacement top-case, if cracks started to appear later!!

Did you get AppleCare? It might seem costly but I can assure you it's damn right cheaper then paying for repairs once it becomes one year old!

6. AirborneAngel thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there any way they will let me buy a replacement case whenever I want? (and have them install it...)

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Call and ask. I can't see why they wouldn't do that.

8. AirborneAngel thread starter macrumors 6502

9. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Dead pixel count for replacement for Apple is like 6 - 8 per quadrant ..IIRC ..

10. spygirl108 macrumors newbie

Apple's Customer Service = Excellent

I have had nothing but a fantastic experience with Apple's Protection Care tech support team.

That said, I should mention that I am a graphic designer, a faculty member of a university that works closely with them to develop computers custom-made for our students, and actively attempt to convert my pc-loving art students to MAC users.

I have called Apple with a variety of complaints, with my 4 button pre-click wheel ipod to my clamshell graphite "hello kitty" laptop to my current (and hopefully being replaced after the expo) powerbook G4. they have been anything but picky about what they will and will not fix. when you explain to them why those pixels or the persistent battery-death or whatever the problem is... and why it means so much to you - as an Apple customer and lover, they are much more willing to help you out.

I think that it probably all depends on who you talk to when you are making the Apple Care claim, so if they don't seem to understand why 8 dead pixels will make any web/print designer crazy, then thank them for their time, hang up and then call right back. It might take a few tries, but eventually you'll reach someone who will care about your computer issues as much as you do.

I sent my last request in 8 months ago. Things may have changed since then, but they could not have been nicer.

And --- the Apple Care Protection Plan is a total no-brainer decision. Period.

(Long time reader, first time poster.)

11. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

This issue of dead pixels has been covered extensively both on this site and on apple's support forums.

Basically, the support people will tell u that several are within specs and they wont do anything about them.

I actually had a brand new out of the box mbp that had several dead ones and they still wouldn't do anything about them, but after much haggling they agreed to replace the machine, but it wasn't easy.

I would suggest that you meet with a genius, explain the situation, and then speak to a manager, who may be able to help you.

12. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I know this thread is crazy old but I figured I'd just throw my two cents in it. So when I purchased a 2008 Macbook, I realized only one pixel was missing after 30 days of owning the machine. It was maybe around 40 days or less. Anywho, I took it to the Apple store. THey tested it out and saw that it really was a dead pixel. They then talked to their manager. He then talked to me. I point out to him that I needed my Mac for graphic design for school and that I spent a ton of money on a machine and I wanted all the pixels. I did this in a very respectful way. I'm not sure if it was the fact that my mom was there too (I was 18 at the time and she bought it as a graduation gift) or what but he was kind enough to give me a brand new MacBook. Maybe it helped since the Mac wasn't very old. In your case since it is, they make be more strict..but it never hurts to try.

13. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Wow, on Dell Tru colour monitors its 1 dead pixel...

Id try your luck, who knows, with the combination of dead pixels and flaking case, you might have grounds. Id go in acting pissed off, and tell them its unacceptable a laptop of this premium brand is "falling apart" within the 12 month warranty.

14. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Doubtful, you should probably starting hitting you screen to increase the number of dead pixels, even still they will just replace the screen not the macbook itself

15. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

just use a nail to kill some pixels. but watch out for you retina