Will Apple replace my Magsafe charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by John Snow, Dec 13, 2012.

1. John Snow macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a MBP that is from 2010, and had the first charger for about a year and a half-ish. The same thing happened but bought a new one since I thought it was my fault. But the one I currently have is splitting and has some of the yellow discoloration on the cord by the connector (also about a year and a half old). As you can see in the pictures.

I haven't went to the apple store yet or tried calling since I did get my charger in the U.S. and I have been in New Zealand for the past year. Would they replace it or what do you all suggest?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's worth asking. Is an Apple store located near you?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you don't want to go to an Apple Store, call AppleCare and tell them your power cord is fraying; they'll probably replace it even if you are out of warranty.

I have to wonder sometimes what you guys do to cause this? Of all my computers I've never had this issue. Not with the old plastic T-connectors, not with the L connector, and not with the new aluminium T-connectors.

4. efirmage macrumors member

You'd probably have better luck at an Apple store than over the phone, unless you're covered by Apple Care, in which case they'd cover it for you. If you do call make sure you emphasize that it is frayed and not accidental damage.

5. John Snow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses :D I think there is one about 20mins away. I think the apple store here is a Apple Authorised Service Provider. So I am not sure if they would do it.

I use it normal, I'm pretty sure? Maybe sometimes I put a little tug and strain on it and it might cause it? I think I might need to get a 3 pronged one instead of the 2 pronged one with the block, so I can have some stretch. But I may try the store, just need to find a way there. If not I'll call them.

6. John Snow thread starter macrumors newbie

So I am about to call apple New Zealand. What/ how should I explain it over the phone to them about my charger to hopefully get a replacement?

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd tell them the cable looks burned and is splitting near the MagSafe connector. Let them know your worried it may short out.

8. John Snow thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just rang and said that. My response is to go into a apple store with a receipt for proof purchase and also under a year warranty. If not I have to buy a new one..awesome pretty sure mines over a year. Thanks apple..

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom