Will Apple replace my Magsafe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FleurDuMal, Apr 8, 2008.

1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

The Magsafe adapter that came with my Macbook (see sig) is bust. The wire right next to the brick which runs to the Macbook (as opposed to the mains) has melted. I left my Macbook on all night doing a bit of Handbraking, only to wake up smelling smoke. I looked at the adapter and the wire was burnt and melted, exposing the live copper (yikes!).

I bought the Macbook in July 06. I doubt I can find proof of purchase, but I've checked the Apple Support website and it says I'm under 'limited warranty' till July 09.

What are Apple like about replacing Magsafe adapters? :confused:

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you make enough fuss, they can't refuse. That is a fire risk.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They replaced mine, I just called up Apple, and they told me to call the Regent street store manager and say that I've been told by the phone support to come in and collect a new MagSafe. I brought in my broken one and it was replaced on the spot once I found the manager I had spoken to.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

As psychofreak said, you should be fine.

This type of magsafe was phased out 'on the quiet' due to this type of fault (there used to be advice on the Apple site about exchanging them), and from numerous articles and posts, it seemed to be a case of 'no questions asked' when getting a new one.

If memory serves me right, this type of magsafe was no longer used from about Dec06/Jan07.

As an aside The Register ran an (unintentionally) funny article, where the writer (who had been sold a lemon) listed her woes - she complained about the fire risk to Apple as she had children sleeping in the house and would leave the MB to recharge under a sofa overnight... I'm not making this up.

The story concluded with words of wisdom saying that the writer advised people to stay away from MBs until Apple used a new type of power adapter.... the fact that over six months ago Apple had stopped shipping the one she was complaining about was apparently unknown to her.

5. Mo Tiggas macrumors member

From experience, apple will replace this adapter with no questions asked... They would rather a fuss not be created about a burnt cord, which doesn't look so good. Just take it in, and get your new cord!

6. zaney macrumors regular

Just take it into an Apple store, they should replace it on the spot. Proof of purchase is irrelevant, it's an Apple power supply, and thus Apple's responsibility, regardless of where you got it from. Besides, they're usually good about this sort of thing.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

My magsafe decided to stop working one day (outside of warranty) it seemed like the constant heating and cooling of the wire wrapped around the adapter had stretched the wire inside the rubber casing and snapped so it only worked in certain positions. There was also a slight buzzing sound coming from the adapter so I called Apple and they said they said "so whats the problem? Just buy a new one."

I told them that even though it was out of warranty its pretty much a fire hazard and would expect it to be replaced free of charge - They duly obliged and I received a new one 2 weeks later. I didnt make a fuss I just asked them politely and also whether they agreed it was a fire risk.

I now wait for the adapter to cool before wrapping the wire around it to store it.

8. Theora macrumors newbie

I've had two of them replaced (the second one was of the same make as the first) and there was no problem either time. Whether you take it to an Apple store or you call up Apple directly, it's still free. A replacement comes quicker if you take it to a store, of course.

9. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Like others have said, they should... mine was also replaced