Will Apple replace my MBP display with only one stuck pixel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frostrambler, Nov 10, 2008.

1. frostrambler macrumors member

I bought a new MBP this February, no problems with it, but my display had awful backlight irregularities, dark in one area, light in the other, etc.

I took it to the Apple store this Saturday (5th avenue), and asked them to replace the display (Didn't have time to do it before, was still in college).

They saw the problem and said that they would replace it.

The next day I picked it up (fast!), and on first impression, the display is awesome. A 9c83 samsung instead of my old 9c81 LG, colors are more vibrant, not washed out, and the backlight problem seems gone. (I had proper display profiles).

I brought the MBP home and start actually using it again, and I notice I have one stuck hot pink pixel in the middle between the top and middle of the display, almost down the center.

Its only one pixel, but when I am looking at anything with a light background (like a webpage), my eyes fall right on it, being close to the middle of the display, and its very irritating. One dark purple/pink flek among a sea of white, etc. It seems the pixel can go black, because during a dark movie, you don't see it, but once any sort of brightness is applied, it becomes dark hot pink.

If I go back to the store on Wed (already have an appointment), do I have any chance of another screen replacement? I know of Apple's policy of 3-5 before a replacement, but this thing is annoying due to it being in the middle (or close to it). Plus the display I handed in had no dead pixels, now the new one does.

Do I have any hope?

I also noticed that when I have a fully black screen, or when I have top and bottom bars (like when watching a movie), and I turn the screen brightness up, and I turn the lights off in the room, I can see somewhat bad backlight bleeding from the top and bottom, it makes the corners black, and the middle of the top and bottom of the display a dark grey. I compared this to my other MBP (revA 2006) and a few other LCDs in the house, and none other has this problem.

So what do you guys think?

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

People will argue that they should... I really dont think there is any hope they will.

There are several methods people use to try and fix stuck pixels (none have ever worked for me), it is worth a shot though...

3. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I tried two different programs to flash colors on to the stuck pixel, I tried massaging it, I even tried tapping it (although that scares me).

Nothing.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Doesn't hurt to try... I have seen stories on here where they return them.

5. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

I may as well try, worst comes to worst they say no. I know I have backlight issues, you can see by the pics, so I can try to push on that too.

If they say no, I can try again in a few weeks with another genius.