Will Apple replace my new battery? (257 cycles, 21% health!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bluefusion, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

What experience do people have with 12" PB batteries getting crappy long before the 300 cycle/80% point? Does Apple replace them (mine is still less than a year old)? Or do they just ignore it since the Powerbook itself is no longer under warranty? (they refused to fix my loose power connector because of a small dent on the bottom-right corner from the first week I owned it). Apple seems particularly obnoxious about fixing the 12" Powerbook (since friends with 15" PBs have gotten them fixed even with visible damage), but I really can't afford a new battery for this old machine (saving up for a 15" MBP!).

My battery is, as stated, at 21% health after 257 cycles. It lasts maybe 30 minutes. This is down from more than an hour only 4-5 days ago. Is Apple likely to replace this?

2. islandman macrumors 6502

I'm having a similar problem. I'm going to be taking mine to Apple in the next week or so. I'll post my results!

3. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

I get a lot of batteries replaced, like 5 a week. Normally they give me no problems if it is under 100 count.

However, I have given them batteries that have no business being replaced and it depends on the genius you get.

The bad thing is if one genius doesn't want to replace your batt then he makes notes on your system so the next time you bring it in they know that another genius already said no...

4. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

It's supposed to be within one year. Exception is the Core Due machines due to the nature of the issues with those batteries, where the battery warranty is 2 years.

5. Bluefusion thread starter macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

My battery's now on its 258th cycle (only one new one !!) and it's got 10% health. It lasts 10-12 minutes MAX, usually around 9.

Went to Apple Midtown (NYC) - I hate that store - and was told flatly that they would not replace it under any circumstances as it was a "consumable".

Despite my repeated indication that the APPLE WEBSITE specs the battery out for 300 cycles before it hits 80% capacity, and that others have replaced their batteries with no problem... no dice.

What are my options here, guys?

Machine is no longer under AppleCare, of course, but the battery is within a year of purchase.

6. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would suggest calling Applecare and asking them what the anticipated performance should be. I'm guessing that they will send you a replacement.

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

Mine was replaced at 59% health and 29 cycles. The Genius plugged in an iPod and booted to the diagnostic boot on the iPod. It ran a battery diagnostic that clearly placed the battery in the Bad batch. Replacing it was no problem after that.

8. freitas macrumors member

Setup an appointment with your local apple store. I took mine in today because the power supply led was shutting off. They replaced the supply and tested my battery (73% health, 222 cycles, 12 months old). The "genius" booted my mac off in ipod and ran a battery test utility. He said I had a dead cell and promptly gave me a new battery.

I was very pleased with the support I got.

BTW My MBP is covered under applecare which may make a difference if your laptop is over 12 months old.

9. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

u should call and ask them, thats ur best bet