Will apple replace my phone if i have the GM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prospereagle92, Jun 14, 2009.

1. prospereagle92 macrumors regular

I installed the iPhone 3.0 GM (Gold Master) recently and just discovered cracks in my white iPhone 3G will apple still replace it even though i have the GM installed?

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Yes.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Just restore it back to 2.x before you send it in.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know about Apple's cracks policy, but downloading a software has nothing to do with the physical condition of the hardware, or do you think the iPhone OS 3.0 Gold Master (GM - you should have been clearer on this) could somehow have gotten you iPhone to crack?

5. prospereagle92 thread starter macrumors regular

You can't restore it down to a 2.x.x because by going up to 3.0 it puts it in test mode.

6. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

If you don't know how to downgrade to 2.x, you should wait until the 17th. It's possible they won't be able to restore your iPhone at the store if you have 3.0.

7. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Ah okay. I thought you could totally wipe it to factory condition and then load whatever firmware back in.

8. prospereagle92 thread starter macrumors regular

It isn't possible to downgrade

9. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

As long as you downloaded it legally, then you will be fine.

10. prospereagle92 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha no i know the software didn't make it crack, but i know that if you were to take a jailbroken iPhone they wouldn't replace it so i was just wondering about the GM (Gold Master)

11. prospereagle92 thread starter macrumors regular

Will they check if i am a developer?

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I think I got it now, I thought the iPhone OS 3.0 was already available, so I didn't think of jailbreaking.

13. RxMac macrumors 6502

Yes they will replace it, as long as you are legit dev. I took mine in with GM on it, told the guy up front because they can't run their diagnostic program on GM. He just said casually "Are you a developer", yes. Then he proceeded to give me a refurb because my silent button broke off.

14. prospereagle92 thread starter macrumors regular

Did he check to see if you were a developer?

15. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

yes you can, i have done it and there are other post on here on how to do it. Only thing that wont downgrade is the baseband for 3G iPhones only.

16. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Yes, I had a 3.0 beta and they returned for me without really asking any questions. I just let them know I was beta testing an app. I'm sure it won't be much of a problem.

17. bobbba macrumors regular

I had my 3g replaced yesterday and although I had not upgraded it to 3.0, the guy did not really look at it so I don't think you will have a problem. I think you could also just wait until 3.0 is finally out anyway.

18. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

If the only problem is cracking of the case, then I'd wait til Wednesday, put the legit 3.0 on your device, then take it in.

19. ttech10 macrumors 6502

If you're worried just wait until the 17th when it's actually out and then send it in.

20. RxMac macrumors 6502

I said he just casually asked.... I wouldn't risk it since you are obviously not a legit developer!

21. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

No, I had a problem with the Wi-Fi and I went in and they didn't even look at the issue. All he said was we don't support this until Wednesday.

I said back "But what I have on my phone is what's to be released on Wednesday, I have no update option so basically what you see here is what will be on here until 3.0.1."

He said "Doesn't matter, we don't support it until Wednesday."

So I started to get a little crazy here when I said

"If you don't swap my phone and its the software, thousands of people will be inaccessible to Wi-Fi because you failed to swap my phone."

He started to stutter and said "Sorry Sir, I can not help."

Douc** bag he is

22. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

This.

/thread

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

How can they possibly know if you downloaded it 'legally' or not? I took my iPhone 3G in for a replacement back in April, while running 3.0b2. There was no problem whatsoever. In fact, the Genius was more interested in checking out 3.0 than actually diagnosing the problem. Which was fine with me, of course - I got a new iPhone with very few questions asked. :)

24. elbirth macrumors 65816

Here's what you do-

- Walk into the Apple store today/tomorrow
    - Show them the issue and see if they'll agree to replace it
    - If they say it has 3.0, say yes you know, but the software didn't make it crack

You'll end up in 1 of 2 situations:
    1- They go "lol oh ok" and replace it (or refuse to because they don't believe the cracks are a problem or whatever other reasons they might come up with)
    2- You go home, wait until Wednesday, update to the 3.0 final and go back and they have nothing to say software-wise

Actually, in this situation you sound like the jerk to me. Your software will be updated on Wednesday just like everyone else's to the final version of 3.0 (Gold Master or not). Your wifi issue very well could be a software issue, and they have no authority to mess with it until Wednesday. They're doing their job and you expect to be made a special case because you're the cool kid with 3.0 before they have it?
    I have the 3.0 GM and my WiFi works fine, so not only does that prove it's not a global software problem and there will be no mass destruction, but your BS line about his failure to replace your phone somehow making everyone inaccessible to WiFi is completely wrong.

25. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

A while back, I took in my 1G iPhone because the speaker was much too quiet. It had a 3.0 beta on it (because I am a developer), and the Genius said he couldn't restore the it because he didn't have the 3.0 beta so he couldn't rule out software bugs. He told me to bring it back when 3.0 is released.

So your milage may vary.