Will apple replace rather than repair a macbook if i take it in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NintendoRev, Nov 5, 2014.

1. NintendoRev macrumors member

So I have a 2014 macbook air with an annoying backlight issue (it's uneven in one corner). I didn't notice it until i changed the wallpaper from the default mavericks one after upgrading to Yosemite. I'd send it in, but i need my macbook for school, and I live an hour away from an apple store.

My question is this: Does apple ever just issue a replacement instead of repairing a macbook at the stores?

2. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Depends on how long you've had it. Usually if it's within 30 days of purchase, they replace it, but I've seen numerous instances of people getting replacements after that.

I had one instance where they replaced mine, and it was around 40 days after purchase, but due to the fact that I had bought like 4 MacBooks in two years from them, they replaced my laptop without issue. So I think they tend to make exceptions for good customers, or maybe sometimes it depends on who you get. Give it a shot! Can't hurt.

3. RumorConsumer macrumors regular

RumorConsumer

For that issue I'd put odds at 1/1,000,000
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2016 ---
    They are going to tell you that you should hold onto it until you can send it in and they'll cover it. Its not impeding the use of the machine generally speaking. Like its not a dead logic board.

4. dahosek macrumors newbie

Your best bet might be a third-party authorized repair center. They will often have loaners for free or cheap and will swap your hard drive over.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Considering that this is from 2014, I'm hoping that OP got their issue taken care of one way or another quite some time ago ;)