Will Apple Replace/Repair my Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KarlEdmunds, Feb 20, 2008.

1. KarlEdmunds macrumors member

I bought my wireless Might Mouse approximately 10 months ago. about 5 months ago it developed the well-known trackball problem.

I have tried every cleaning article I can find, but I just cannot scroll downwards, it operates just fine in other directions.

I'm heading to London tomorrow and can pop into the Regent street store. Would Apple repair or replace it for free?

The one problem I can foresee is that I don't have a receipt, but I do have the original box, bag and unopened cd/manual etc.

I have tried entering the serial number into the apple uk support site, but it isn't recognised.

For £50 I was expecting a slightly better life-span, so if I can't resolve it this weekend I'm probably going to invest in a new wireless mouse and will be staying well-clear of the mighty mouse. Would anybody like to recommend a good alternative?

Thanks

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

they should replace it..i think it comes with the one year warranty

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Get a piece of paper. Turn the mouse upside down and rub the scroll ball on the paper until you start being able to scroll down. If that doesn't work, use a can of compressed air. If that doesn't work, send it in or open it up.

4. KarlEdmunds thread starter macrumors member

Already tried that numerous times, and various other methods.

I wasn't sure if the mouse came with a warranty, marykay9507 would I require the receipt to get it repaired or exchanged?

Seem to remember getting my MacBook power supply changed quite easily, it was a while back though and I did it over the phone.

5. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you may need the receipt...if you paid with a credit card, they should be able to look it up for you.

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I have a question along the same lines. I bought my Aluminum iMac last August with the BTO wireless MM. When cleaning it a couple months ago with having it be cleaned perfectly fine on a piece of paper it got many gouges in the scroll ball. Any way they will replace it since I bought the computer in August? Or will they not replace it due to me doing that? I didn't really do anything differently it was just unhappy on that paper on the table surface I was using.

7. magikcoyote macrumors newbie

hey guys, I had the same problem with my bluetooth mighty mouse, which I bought about 11 months.

I went back to the Apple Store today before the one-year-warranty expired. They tried cleaning it for at least 10 minutes before the guy admitted it may had a technical problem beyond the typical "dirt gets stuck under the ball", so they replaced it with a new one from the store.

I don't know if it's a second generation or something, cause the side buttons are white instead of gray... but anyway

I can finally scroll down again!! yay :D

8. ceehjayem macrumors regular

I have had my mighty mouse exchanged on two occasions so they do exchange them for you. Have you tried isopropyl alcohol? I bought some at the local grocery store and it works like a charm. One minute of it usually gets the dirt out like its brand new.