Will apple replace the palm rest even if a bottom crack is due to a drop?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AreYouIn?, May 5, 2010.

1. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I have a white macbook from late 2007. I know the plam rest cracking is a known issue and apple replaces this. From what I have read it is free even if you are out of warranty (I never bought applecare!) There is also a hairline fracture running from one side of the palm rest to the other. So my question is will they replace it even though I have a crack on the bottom case (which they don't replace in this procedure anyway) that was caused by a drop? Also the inside of my macbook is probably disgusting because I never clean it with compressed air or anything and I know crap falls into the keyboard all the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also the left side where the headphone jack has always felt a little loose and I can push it in a little.

Here's the crack from the drop
    [​IMG]

I've lived with these cracks for a long time because the closest apple store is 2 hours away and this is the only computer newer than 1995 in my house so I can't be without it for any length of time.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Off hand I would think that it'll be awfully hard to convince Apple that all 3 of the case problems didn't happen with the drop but that would be up to Apple. You might call ahead with your claim rather than make the drive.

Another idea would be to explore the possibility of buying the parts from somewhere like ifixit.com and replacing them yourself.

3. AreYouIn? thread starter macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I don't mind the crack on the bottom casing I know they will not replace that. The palm rest and all that happend about 6 months after I got my mac. Well before the drop.

4. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

You probably would have been better off reporting it when it happened. Now it will look suspicious.