Will Apple retail install an SSD in a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by mikesown, Jun 16, 2008.

1. mikesown macrumors member

I currently have AppleCare on my Macbook Pro 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo(15"). I am very tempted by http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609304 to get an SSD($639 for 120gb is unheard of). Anyway, I know it's a *fairly* simple proceedure, but the fact that Apple doesn't sanction it and the fact that it requires unscrewing a ton of screws, opening the top cover and disconnecting a fragile keyboard cable puts me on edge. I'd rather pay the Apple store to do it if possible. So, will they install that SSD if I bring it in for a nominal fee? My guess is no, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

2. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

If it has the normal hard drive connectors on it, then I don't see why it would be any different from installing a regular disk-based drive. I would call your local Apple store before you decide, though.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

No, they won't. Not an Apple-sold item, not a standard Apple build (as in not available for that model).

If you want to have it done and have a hope of maintaining the warranty, find an Apple-authorized service location.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Did you read the user reviews on your link? Normally, I don't put a lot of stock in these types of reviews. However, these comments mirror my own understanding of the drives. Compared to HHDs, they are:
    • Much more expensive.
    • Roughly equal in performance.
    • Much more likely to fail.
    • Much more energy efficient.
    We all have our own set of priorities. However, I suggest that you wait until SSDs come down in price and go up in reliability before jumping into that market.