Will Apple send entire replacement key sets?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cleanup, Jul 21, 2007.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

My F1 key recently broke off on my black MacBook after the little pins that hold it to the housing managed to snap off through minor usage. I'm planning on getting a replacement from Apple later on. I was wondering, however, if they would be able to send me an entire set of keys instead of just the F1 key, perferably in white! A black MacBook with white keys would look great.

Has anyone else had to get replacement keys from Apple before? Did they send you only the keys you needed or an entire set?

Thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've never had to get a key replaced, but from what I've heard. They have spare keys at the Genius bar that they can pop on, although I doubt they'd give you white keys instead of black keys.

3. ejacobsen macrumors newbie

no.. they won't send keys

No, they won't at least with a MacBook Air. My "C" key broke. Same way as yours. The little clamps broke. I called Apple. They wouldn't just send me a C key. They said to visit an Apple store (an hour away). I did and they didn't have the keys in stock.

I gave the Apple support poor feedback and they called the next day to talk about it. I told them that it would be so easy just to send me a key. The rep repeated that their systems just wouldn't let them do that.

But the MBA is too new to have the parts in stock at the Apple store. Looks like we're stuck.

(But next time I'm in an Apple store and they don't have the key in stock... they're going to find a C key missing from one of the MBA's on display ;-)

4. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

i got my "y" key tightened and was given a brand new one

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

You can check out apple service centers. Sometimes they will keep the old keyboard they replace in the back for people who bring in their computers with keys broken. We do. :)

6. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

good reason to get a new keyboard out of the deal.

7. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Damn straight! :D

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

They'll only have stock, if the AppleStore the OP visits is also a service centre. Many AppleStore still send machines away for repair.

9. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

cant you just buy an apple aluminum keyboard and snap the keys off of that?

come to think of it, an apple aluminum keyboard would look sick with black keys... wanna swap? ;)

10. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

agreed that would look awesome.. i hit ebay the minute i read your post... didnt find much cept for some guy selling each individual key for 7.99 plus s/h.. now there is a money maker....

someone should set up a swaping theard... people who want white keys for black mac or black keys for a white mac.......:apple:

11. ejacobsen macrumors newbie

keys and LEDs

I have a new keyboard for my iMac. But the keys attach differently so I can't swap them. Plus the MBA keys are backlit and the white USB keyboard keys are not designed for backlit application. They look bad compared to the black keys.

12. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

we're talking about the macbook i thought... i'd be very surprised if the keys for the macbook and the alu keyboards were different.

i could def. understand the mba keyboard connector being different, though.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Half of you people don't even read the post correctly. The OP has a Black MB, not a MBA, not a silver MBP--A Macbook!

And no they won't send you a key, because the keyboard is not considered a user serviceable part.

14. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

seems like YOU need to re-read some posts yourself ;)

i'm talking about my bluetooth aluminum keyboard, which has the scrabble keys just like the black macbook.

ya dig? ;)

15. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I saw yours which is why I said some...., but in any case, I don't see how spendin $50 on a nice Al keyboard works out. Also the Al keyboard seen to have crappier keyboards than the MBs.

17. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

the bluetooth keyboard is excellent... :D i KNOW i type faster with this thing... i hate typing with the mushy macbook pro keys or, god forbid, a pc keyboard (or old mac keyboard).