iPad mini Will Apple skip this year for new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigthanbigger, Sep 14, 2014.

1. bigthanbigger macrumors regular

will apple introduce new ipad air or mini this year ??? usually what month they start send out invitation ???

i know they too busy now for iphone 6 and 6 plus ,,,

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It would be crazy if they did that. Invitations usually go out 2 to 3 weeks before the even. Keeping that cadence, Apple still has a couple of weeks left for a late October event.

3. bigthanbigger thread starter macrumors regular

so , they release before new year like normal schedule ??????????

4. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Of course they'll have new iPad's... End of October, early November just in time for the holiday season.

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Not so sure about that.

Do you realize that several market studies concluded that the reason tablet sales have been slowing down (not just Apple, but also Samsung and all other tablet makers) is because those studies found that consumers do NOT want to keep buying new tablet models every year. They prefer to hold on to their existing tablet for at least 2-3 years before replacing it with a new one.

6. Shawn D macrumors regular

That's true, for most Americans it's pretty silly to buy a new tablet every 12 months. Most wouldn't do that with a computer.

7. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Totally agreed, but the people who bought 2-3 years ago that feel that they're due for a new one will want to buy something this holiday season, and a refreshed Air2 or rMini2 would attract them just a little bit more. It's time to replace my wife's iPad2, so the Air2 would be perfect for her. I bought the rMini last year, and yeah, when it gets around to the rMini3 or 4 will be when I'll upgrade.

We'll see something this year for both, even if it's just a slight bump in performance, or small things like TouchID added.

The October keynote also gives them a chance to crow about the great iPhone sales. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just a great PR opportunity.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

What on earth gave you this idea?

Last year they came out in November.

9. danniexi macrumors 6502

i assume an event will be held later in October.

Products will most likely include spec/hardware bumps for the iPad Air and iPad mini (A8, better screen, touch id?).

Im sure a macbook air, apple tv, and iMac (retina?) spec bump will be introduced as well.

10. dukeblue219 macrumors member

That makes sense, but it doesn't mean Apple or Samsung should wait two years between product updates. Few people are going to buy it every year, but it's not like they're going to sell MORE tablets over a four year span by releasing two updates than four.

Releasing only every two just messes with sales numbers and customer loyalty. Someone who wants to buy every 2 years may end up buying a 1.5 year old tablet and then waiting until it's 3.5 years old to get the next, rather than there always being a fairly recent model available.

11. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

There will be an iPad product update this calendar year.

12. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

Most computers don't get new crippling OS updates every year. :p

13. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

I don't know if Apple cares what those studies suggest, but the conclusions seem to be well founded: I hear all the time that folks don't want to upgrade a tablet annually. More like every two years as with a phone.

14. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

I think there will be an iPad update.

But now that there is a 5.5" iPhone 6+, I think that it will eat into mini iPad sales. After all, the reason people want bigger phones (in many, not all cases) is so they can have the function ability of tablet without shelling out the $ for another device. The 5.5" iPhone 6+ does this. And some people will buy it instead of a new iPad mini.

I think Apple knows this as well. So a little part of me thinks that Apple won't be updating the mini iPad. To make it compete with the iPhone 6+ would be stupid in my opinion. Maybe instead of the mini iPad, they will release a Maxi iPad that is closer to 11 or 12 inches. And keep the normal size one and call it the iPad Air 2.

15. bigthanbigger thread starter macrumors regular

i never had an ipad LTE yet , so i wait for new one coming get for my lovly daughter ,,,,,,, can't wait .............

16. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

My Windows machine gets crippling updates on the second Tuesday of each month. :)

17. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

My wife's came with a crippling upgrade called Windows 8.

18. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

He's dead, Jim!!! He was done in by the Windows 8 virus.

19. Unami macrumors 6502a

there are already part-leaks and reports of mass production of the new ipad out there. (have a look at the dedicated rumors-roundup on this page). there will be a new ipad this year and it will probably come out in late october/early november.

i guess there'll be a minor spec bump (a8, better camera, touchID...) over the existing air. no reason to update for existing air owners - but a lot of people who held on to their old hardware (i'm typing this on a soon-to-be-retired ipad 1) will want to upgrade. people not wanting to upgrade every year does not mean ther won't be a new ipad every year. people also don't buy new cars every year (despite there's a new model every year).

hoping for 2gb of ram (but not holding my breath on it)

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Probably October or November. It won't happen later since sales are down and that will give him a boost of cash during the holidays.

21. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

No! Not me! Although I do have a debt to Microsoft from Windows 8. I saw it, and went out and bought my first two Macs and that was that.

22. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

23. addictzz macrumors 6502

No rumors at all about the iPad or iPad Mini while there's just around 1 month before the announcement. Is this suppose to be bad or good?

24. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

If the iPad gets 1gb of ram again like the iPhone 6...other than needing more space, what would be the incentive to upgrade over the Air?

Design wise I'm not sure what more they can offer to entice me. A better camera wouldn't because I never use my iPad to take photos anyway. I'm not upgrading regardless, I'm happy with my LTE Air. Your thoughts?

25. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I returned my surface pro 3 to wait for the new ipad. if they offer 1 gb of ram im going back to surface for sure..