iPhone X Will Apple stick to a 2-year cycle for the iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zynq, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Zynq macrumors newbie

Seeing as the iPhone X design will stay the same for 2018, albeit a larger option, will there be a redesign for 2019?
    Or can we expect no major hardware design changes for the next few years (eg. iPhone 6, 6S, 7, to 8)?

Curious.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Look at Apple‘s timeline of history of iPhones. They never have drastically changed from an annual basis. It’s usually a three-year term of the same physical casing before they start making alterations to the iPhone itself. The iPhone 6/6S/7/8 were primarily the same with some minor hardware tweaking in between. In the smart phone industry, drastic changes aren’t something that will occur every year just for the sake of change. Apple likely will retain a similar form factor with the iPhone X at least for the next to two years, given that they’re introducing a possible 6.5 iPhone X Plus this year. I Give the current iPhone X design a minimum of three years before we see more alterations either to the notch, the transition to micro LED, elimination of more physical buttons, etc.

4. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I think the idea was to have a discussion about what we think.

5. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I think it’ll be a good 4 year cycle before a complete redesign. Although we’ll get smaller notches and bigger sized phones, I don’t think we’ll see a redesign for another 4 years at least. Hell they stretched out the 6 design for 4 generations!

6. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

We're stuck with this for a while. Not that it's a bad thing, as it's the best design currently available by far.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would say there will be more minor physical changes, possible with the reduction of the Notch, buttons eliminated for improved water resistance, transition to micro LED possibly, the camera module is rumored to change to having three vertical lenses (Versus two) on the back on the phone, ect.

8. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Smaller notch would be the main thing.

Rear camera may see an extra lens.

The body may see minor changes - thinner/lighter/colours.

All guesses.

9. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

According to the supply chain the X in its current form, if it has not done so already, will be stopping production rather than cascading down a level price wise.

At the moment, I’m considering picking up one of the leftover stock if they’re priced well at the announcement of the new models.

10. Zynq thread starter macrumors newbie

And I'm considering picking up the 2018 one that comes out. I hope next years design won't be the one I should wait to get (i.e. the one with the smaller notch). This would be my first iPhone since the iPhone 4, so it's not a decision I'm taking lightly you know

11. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I suspect, based on rumor sites like this one, is that this fall's version will be very similar. Just faster, better radio (B71 and 14?, 4CA?), etc. With the 6.1" LCD version taking the place of a year old X taking the lower price point.

Kind of like when the 5s came out, Apple dropped the 5 and replaced it with the 5C.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Just guessing for the _base_ storage starting price points:

6.1~$799.00

5.8~$899.00

6.5~$999.00

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

14. radiologyman macrumors 6502

They said during keynote that iPhone X will define next 10 years of iPhones so i don't expect major redesign for next couple years.

15. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

I doubt there will be a smaller notch this year, but you may get lucky, hope you do.

I'm expecting the look to stay the same with component changes made.

16. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Nobody knows. Apple did use the same design with the 6-8 for 4 generations.

17. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Why not buy 2018 model on a carrier plan. And get the deal where you can either trade the phone in at 1 year or just sell the phone on Craigslist or eBay when the 2019 one comes out if it’s drastically different.

18. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

I think that the desire to have a new case design every year or 2 is superficial and pointless. But it seems to be what the vocal majority here wants.

On the other hand Apple used to use the alternate years for speed and features. I don’t think he need for those is as big as it used to be.

So..I don’t know. Since more and more people are likely going to be satisfied with aging hardware I’m guessing Apple is going to dish out frequent design changes.

19. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I think it’ll be at least 2 years. The X is kinda weird for me because it’s the first iPhone that has checked nearly all the boxes for me. There’s only like 2 or 3 things I want front the next iPhone, when usually I have a laundry list of items.

• Fast charger in the box (USB-C to Lighting)
    • Always-On Display
    • ProMotion Display

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the fast charger is certainly considerable, being that it’s time to Move On from the standard 5W brick charger. But I think Promotion display will be exclusive to the iPad Pro’s and Always on display also doesn’t seem likely, especially given they don’t even allow that consideration for the Apple Watch.

21. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Where are some folks getting the ProMotion display stuff from? I saw people discussing it on Reddit too.

22. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Maybe, hoping, they find a way to remove the camera bump once again. That would be a far better deal to me than the presence of a notch. I mean, to me, the notch is there because there are sensors in there. If they were to cosmetically place a notch with nothing in it, that would make me upset with them, surely. In time, smaller notches to no notches might come. But a major thing would be camera bump removal, if.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

@eyoungren would vehemently agree with you about the Camera bump. My thoughts are that I have adjusted to it over the years and it doesn’t really bother me, but I do understand that if the camera bump was recessed, then It would just make the iPhone thicker. But truthfully, I’m neutral either way if the camera bump exists or not. Aesthetically, I do think it would look better if it was flush with the iPhone chassis as you mentioned.

24. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I’m not “getting” it from anywhere honestly. The iPad Pro has it and it’s awesome. I’d love to see it make it to the iPhone
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2018 ---
    The AOD is mostly software so hopefully if we cry loud enough, they’ll add it. In terms of the promotion display, I’m just hoping to see it, even if it’s just the OLED editions.