Will Apple Still Cover This?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cfs, Jun 3, 2008.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hello Forum,

I am and educator in a K-12 school and am goingf to use my educators discount to purchase and Macbook and AppleCare. I am going to give this as a gift to my father in-law.

If something happends to the Macbook and my father in-law needs to use his warrenty or AppleCare, wil they ask for the reciept and question it?

Thanks,

cfs

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

If anything happens to the MB, you should take it in for servicing just to be safe.

3. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem is that he lives in another country. However, after reading this from Apples site
    From Apples site, there is nothing that says that I cannot do this:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html#AuditRights:

ELIGIBILITY
    Those eligible to purchase from the Apple Store for Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students and parents as follows:

K12 - Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in the United States is eligible. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are

eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible.

Also, I bought an imac 3 months ago. Does this mean that I can never sell it on ebay to a non-educator because I purchased it with my educators discount?

-cfs

4. amoda macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about the legality of re-selling it, but I've never seen any problems arise because of it. There is no way to indicate wether the Mac was purchased from the Education store or not.

About your father in-law, no, he won't need a receipt. It should all be done by the serial number. Don't forget to activate AppleCare by the way, newbie mistake. But yeah, if he takes it in they should take his serial number and plug it into the computer. That alone should tell them wether it's still under warranty or not.

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

You should be fine because the education discount is there for the purchase, but the AppleCare is transferable. So if someone else owns the computer it'll still be under warranty until it expires.

6. bryanw macrumors member

AppleCare stays with machine so selling your Mac to somebody else will not terminate the warranty. In many cases, the AppleCare forms aren't even required. I've worked as certified Mac Technician for 6 years and we simply verify AppleCare coverage, repair/support history by simply punching in serial number of computer into Apple's GSX service website.