Will Apple still make a 4" phone alongside larger phones?

Yeti89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
The rumors seem to point to larger future iphones. I personally like the 4" and don't want something bigger but I know lots of people really like the larger phones.

Do you think apple will still make 4" phones and not have them be relegated to last years parts or miss out on new features?

I would like to see apple offer two display sizes a 4" and a larger size but I don't want one phone or the other to be "the better phone". I want them to be the same and it comes down to screen preference when someone is buying.

Am I one of only few who just wants the 4" and would be unhappy with a larger phone?

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
Personally I think they will still keep a 4" phone around. I think they know that some people don't want big screens. However that option may not be their "flagship" phone it may be the 5S or even the 5. Personally I'm just hoping they announced a 4.7" and a 5.5" so we are given a choice, I'm crossing my fingers on this one!!!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm not a fan of larger phones myself and will likely get the smallest option rumoured to be available (4.7"), but I have seen no indication or suggestion Apple are planning to produce another 4" device unless they continue to manufacture the 5C in that format.

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
You are not the only one. We are guessing here but if they will only offer the two rumored iPhones even the smaller one is too big and the larger one WAY too big. I'm talking about the phone size not the screen.

If the 2 new larger sizes are what we will see it will be a very sad day for me because I refuse to use any other brand so, no new iphone for me and definitely no samsung etc phones. Its iMac iPad iPhone and definitely the iWatch (when released) that I will only use. I will NOT buy a larger iphone that is 135+ mm long so I will just keep my current iphone for as long as it will last.

Honestly for the first time in the last 15 years using all Apple products I am really depressed knowing possibly I will not buy a the new iphone 6 and will not be a part of the excitement :(

robrob74

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
I'm wondering if they'll follow with what they've done with the iPad's? Have both a 4" and a larger iPhone but keep the internals the same?

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Seen the rumored thin iPhone 6, and I prefer the thicker current iPhone 5S, and will stay with this as long as I can (until it malfunctions). Hope Apple continues with the 4 inch model for those that like it, but I doubt it.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You are not the only one. We are guessing here but if they will only offer the two rumored iPhones even the smaller one is too big and the larger one WAY too big. I'm talking about the phone size not the screen.

If the 2 new larger sizes are what we will see it will be a very sad day for me because I refuse to use any other brand so, no new iphone for me and definitely no samsung etc phones. Its iMac iPad iPhone and definitely the iWatch (when released) that I will only use. I will NOT buy a larger iphone that is 135+ mm long so I will just keep my current iphone for as long as it will last.

Honestly for the first time in the last 15 years using all Apple products I am really depressed knowing possibly I will not buy a the new iphone 6 and will not be a part of the excitement :(
How long do you think your current phone will last you? There will be a point where it is not supported, the battery will give up and most apps and software will struggle to run. This may be in about 5 years time and depends if you use the iPhone as a smart phone of course. I am perfectly happy with the current 4" screen, but will be forced to go up in size slightly which can't really be avoided if I want the current tech. If a 5.5" option comes out, it won't even be entertained as an option, but it will sell to a certain sector of consumers no doubt. You probably won't see too many about much like the Galaxy Note is a lesser choice generally in my experience.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am betting that Apple will keep a iPhone 5/5S screen size around for several years. Sales will determine it's fate.

I am looking forwards to a larger iPhone 6, just so it is not too large.:rolleyes:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
They will keep the 4" Phones around for a little longer, but they will be last year's models. I see them keeping the iPhone 5c for another year (official discontinuation - 2015) and the 5s for another two years (2016). This is how its been for the last few years, with the only the 5c being different. The iPhone 6 will most likely just be 4.7" and thats it. I don't see a 4" model or a 5.5" phone. Just 4.7 for now. I think anything over 4.7" right now would be overkill for Apple.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
When the iPhone 5 came out you guys said that you didn't need a bigger screen and you liked the 3.5" screen better. Now it's with the 4".... You guys :confused: ... lol

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I'm banking on a 4.7 or 5" version. I don't have baby hands I would like a larger phone.

kagharaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2007
Hopefully Apple keeps current size and introduce slightly larger ones. I suspect many more users like the current form factor vs 4.7 - 5" size.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
When the iPhone 5 came out you guys said that you didn't need a bigger screen and you liked the 3.5" screen better. Now it's with the 4".... You guys :confused: ... lol
This same scenario repeats itself time and time again. Only when Apple actually implements changes are they accepted but when it's rumor or talk changes are frowned upon. I also remember when many were crying over wanting to keep a 3.5 inch display.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I would consider a "6c" 4" iPhone if it's offered. No 5c or 5s when I have a perfectly good 5. I hope they have a "6c" that's still 4". Plastic or aluminum doesn't really matter to me. Then the other would be a "6s" in aluminum in a larger size. My prediction is the the 5 is the last iPhone # with no letter attached. It will be #c and #s from now on. Of course this is all speculation, and I could be completely wrong. But I want the option for a 4" iPhone with no less features. 4.7" isn't a compromise for me.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2011
USA
If Apple does indeed decide to launch an iPhone with 4.7" screen and an even larger with 5.5", My opinion is that either the iPhone 5S or the iPhone 5C will become discontinued this year. Supply and demand says that the iPhone 5C is the worst iPhone to date with millions sitting in warehouses untouched.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I think Apple will maintain three screen sizes for the iPhone and introduce three new iPhones next year. For this year, the 5S will have to do. I think it's the only way to go now that market has matured in developed countries.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Another person here hoping for at least a 4" inch option imo, I think the current iPhone 5/5S screen dimensions are perfect. No thanks for a 4.7 or 5.5