Will Apple still make updated 4" iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yeti89, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Yeti89 macrumors member

I like the smaller screen iPhones. Do you think apple will still make updated versions of the 4" display? I don't mean keep selling the 5s for a year but after that update their line and keep a 4" option.

2. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I would guess that for the time being they will just keep the 5S, 5C around and not have a new 4" iPhone.

3. cynics macrumors G4

Unlikely you'll be seeing anything most would consider an upgrade. Maybe a 5S in a plastic house at most if any change at all. That's only my opinion on that though.

The 5S is a powerful device that isn't utilized to it's full potential yet so using one for a while isn't a bad thing if you wish to keep the 4" screen.

4. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

I think Apple will continue to sell the 5S as it is, as not everybody will want a bigger iPhone or will like the looks if going of the leaks.

5C cheap option
    5S mid range option
    6 high end option

If they do do this then i can see the 5S still being very popular choice for most, as it be cheaper and has no probs at all running iOS8.

5. matttye macrumors 601

I hope they do. I'd probably get one the same size as the 5s so that I can keep using all my accessories.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I extremely doubt that Apple will make an updated 4" iPhone.

7. Izauze macrumors 6502

I think the budget entry level phone will continue to be a 4" device. So if this year, the subsidized lineup is:

4" iPhone 5c: Free
    4" iPhone 5s: $100
    4.7" iPhone 6: $200

2015 may be:

4" iPhone 5s: Free
    4.7" iPhone 6: $100
    4.7" iPhone 6s: $200

And then 2016 might be:

4" iPhone with updated post-5s internals (a la 5c): Free
    4.7" iPhone 6s: $100
    4.7" iPhone 7: $200

8. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If you know me, you know I've been passionately arguing why there should also be 5.5" iPhone 6s in various threads. So this may come as a surprise… but I think they should put the updated guts in a 4" model too. Why? Because there appears to be a market for smaller-screen phones. So, if it was me, I'd roll out iPhones 6s at 4", 4.7" and 5.5" with updated hardware guts. Those wanting any popular screen size could get what they want, much like there are multiple screen sizes for laptops to suit all tastes/needs/wants.

I've posted the argument that a 4.7" should soak up those wanting a phone screen between about 4" and about 5", and a 5.5" should soak up those wanting a phone screen between about 5" and about 6"… so a 4" version can get those wanting a smaller screen at or below 4". 3 sizes could bite into just about all preferences of phone screen sizes.

Apple has done a good job in the past at poking much fun at sizes above the "perfect" size of 4". There's lots of people actually worried about "one-handed-use" and some worried about "needing pants with bigger pockets". So if that's genuine, make a phone for them too and let the market embrace whatever it wants. Then adapt with the 6s model.

That said though: my gut guess is that Apple is going to roll out new hardware only in the 4.7" and 5.5" sizes. I suspect they are confident that Apple marketing can woo the 4", "one-handed use" crowd into embracing the 4.7" size with little problem.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I don't think they will continue to make a top spec phone with a smaller screen. To bad. It's my preference, too.

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I too prefer a 4" iPhone. I had the HTC M8 for a couple of weeks and it was really big for me. I enjoyed its screen but didn't want to carry it with me. Maybe Apple makes the 4,7" model usable with one hand. If they manage that then I will buy it.
    My guess is that Apple will just make a 4,7" iPhone and nothing else.

11. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

If Apple made an iPhone similar to the current iPod Touch 5 with an A8, with even smaller bezels and even thinner but still with a 4 inch screen I would be all over it. Basically I want a phone the size and thickness of a credit card with edge to edge screen. We'll be there someday, when smallness becomes trendy again.

12. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Probably not.

Apple will probably keep the iPhone 5S around till it's used to it's full potential. The 64-bit only helps with a couple things, not all..

The 5S is probably the most future-proof phone that they have released.

Don't sweat it, it's not the end of the world if they don't come out with a new 4" phone.

13. akhilleus macrumors member

Ain't gonna happen. We're going to end up with phones the size of ipad mini's and then the phone will become obsolete and we'll only talk on skype and facetime and twitter.

14. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I think Apple will make a 4" iPhone for at least a few years. There are enough people out there who don't want a bigger phone, myself included.