Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Based on whatever happened in the past (which was before I was following everything Apple this closely) do you think that the current models of the Macbook Pro will still be available right from Apple as a new item but with a discounted price, or do you think they will take them out of the store the day the new versions are released?

From what I've noticed, sometimes the old version is gone like it never happened (like when new iPods came out) and sometimes the old version is still around but at a discounted price, like some iPhones.

Is there a greater likelihood this will go one way or another with the Macbook Pro updates?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
You'll be able to get them refurbished, but I don't see any reason why Apple would keep them around as new.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From what I've noticed, sometimes the old version is gone like it never happened
They're moved to the refurb store to clear out the inventory, other retailers sell them at a discount as well. Apple's refurb price is about 14%, others may reduce the price even more.

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Don't they typically keep the previous design around as a lower-priced option? Example: you can still buy the larger MBP that had the built in DVD drive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Don't they typically keep the previous design around as a lower-priced option? Example: you can still buy the larger MBP that had the built in DVD drive.
They have a "classic" MBP that is non-retina, and includes the optical drive, but that model has been untouched for years, which is different then keep selling the prior generation at a discount. (as mentioned they clear out inventory by selling them in the refurb, but once they're gone, they're gone.)

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
They have a "classic" MBP that is non-retina, and includes the optical drive, but that model has been untouched for years, which is different then keep selling the prior generation at a discount. (as mentioned they clear out inventory by selling them in the refurb, but once they're gone, they're gone.)

So buying refurb, there's a chance that you might get a new one, not a return or whatever...? Is this common for the refurb part of the store?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

My thought is they kept that model around for a number of reasons.

1. It was heavily used by companies and schools so was the "standard" MacBook Pro.
2. People wanted a DVD Drive
3. It is considerable different from the follow on version (i.e. rMBP, with no DVD, ethernet connector, etc.)
3. It throws off a ton of margin since the design is static and no further engineer funds are required.
[doublepost=1473026052][/doublepost]
So buying refurb, there's a chance that you might get a new one, not a return or whatever...? Is this common for the refurb part of the store?

Hard to say, but most refurbs I have seen look brand new. No marks, no scratches, no key wear. And they come with the same 1-year warranty as new (at least in the US). I am not sure how you tell used from from new when you get a refurbed. Does anyone know?

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I am not sure how you tell used from from new when you get a refurbed. Does anyone know?

Well I know that sometimes refurbished come in a plain box, I know a bunch of things (not Macbook Pro or any laptops) I got from Apple did. Do you think they rebox it in a plain box to hide that it's new? Or do you think they ship them in the new boxes with a "refurb" sticker on the outside...? I haven't bought any new Macbooks from Apple refurbished to know...anyone else know how they usually come?

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Well I know that sometimes refurbished come in a plain box, I know a bunch of things (not Macbook Pro or any laptops) I got from Apple did. Do you think they rebox it in a plain box to hide that it's new? Or do you think they ship them in the new boxes with a "refurb" sticker on the outside...? I haven't bought any new Macbooks from Apple refurbished to know...anyone else know how they usually come?
Brown boxes for refurb, always bought refurbished and always will they are as new!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
They'll probably be carried as "Apple-refurbished" models for at least another year or two.

It seems common to see one- and two-year-old Mac products still available through the online Apple Store refurbished section...

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Hard to say, but most refurbs I have seen look brand new. No marks, no scratches, no key wear. And they come with the same 1-year warranty as new (at least in the US). I am not sure how you tell used from from new when you get a refurbed. Does anyone know?

You can look at the SMART data.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
If you have a MicroCenter near you, you will be able to find the older MBPs there for several months. They were even selling 13" and 15" 2013 non retina MBPs when I last checked last summer. They always have older models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.