Will Apple stop supporting 10.6, Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SavMBP15, Feb 18, 2012.

1. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Traditionally Apple has only supported the current and previous OS.

With 10.8 coming this summer, has anyone read officially what will happen to Snow Leopard (which is not an old OS by any means)?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Eventually they will. When is anyone's guess.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Best guess from previous experiences, I think Apple has stopped point releases for Snow Leopard. They usually do that when a new version of OS X comes out. Security updates should keep coming in until early/mid-2013. They'll release important security updates when needed. OS X.5 Leopard came out in 2007 and got an important security update in June 2011.

At $30, moving to Lion should be a no-brainer at this point. Most apps should be compatible by now. I usually wait until the second point release to upgrade.

4. SavMBP15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. My employer requires employees to only use OS's that Apple currently supports because of the software we use to full encrypt our hard drives, and it was not until about 1.5 months ago that they certified Lion for upgrading to (it's the same for window computers as well). Just part of the process of having to upgrade every year from now on.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I think that early/mid-2013 is wrong, it will be sooner, more than likely will coincide with the release of Mountain Lion as Apple has only provided support for the OS for one version back. Currently it's Lion and Snow Leopard, when Mountain Lion comes out it will be Mountain Lion and Lion.

6. WSR macrumors regular

It's only a no-brainer if you like Lion. For those of use that want Expose and Spaces as they are in SL; "Save As..."; control over Versions, Auto Save, and Resume; and a usable 2nd monitor in Full-Screen mode Lion is a step down from SL.

Also considering that according to a poll on this site about 1/3 of those that updated to Lion went back to SL and many others like myself never even changed having seen what Apple did with Lion, there will be a good percentage of SL users out there for years to come. Thus, Apple better continue to support SL.