Will Apple stop updating the current iPhone as soon as they release a new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mr.stinki, May 10, 2008.

1. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

For example, when a new iPod is released, there are no longer any updates toward that ipod (unless it's like a critical bug fix or something).

Do you think apple will do this to the iPhone?

I don't think they will, since they're still getting an additional $10/month from me...

Now the iPod touch on the other hand...

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

the new 2.0 firmware seems to be meant for both the current gen and the 3G iphone. if this is true it might be the case for the future that all firmware updates for the 3G iphone will also work on the first gen iphone.

3. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Each activated iPhone includes a revenue stream from AT&T, so I feel it's in their best interests to continue to update it.

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

They are OBLIGED to continue updating it. It is in warranty and just because a new model of the product comes it does not mean old customers get dumped.

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

They aren't going to stop supporting the 7 million people who are sending them money every month :) Don't forget Apple gets a share of the monthly AT&T fees.

6. pazreal macrumors regular

Hopefully all the goodness just trickles on down the evolutionary gadget tree.

7. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Steve Jobs said himself that the current iPhone will continue to get free updates for 2 years. I don't know what happens after that two years.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I think as long as the new firmwares are pertinent to the device, they will work. There will surely be features that won't be applicable, like GPS etc., but I don't see any reason why Apple would create firmwares that aren't compatible with the first gen. iPhones are more of a computer than an ipod. As long as they can physically run the firmware updates, I don't see why they wouldn't be made available.

9. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

They are OBLIGED to ensure that as long as it is under warranty, it continues to be suitable for at least all the same uses as was advertised on the day it was sold. If doing so requires the addition of security and/or bug fixes, then Apple is obliged to provide such fixes.

With the exception of the features announced at the SDK media event, there has never been any guarantee that any new functionality would ever be added to the iPhone (although there has been a strong emphasis on the fact that such additions were possible); Apple has been doing so up to this point only because they choose to.