Will Apple Store deal with new products bought from authorized web/mail stores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chp5592, Feb 27, 2009.

1. chp5592 macrumors regular

I'm thinking of buying the new 17 Unibody MBP. I have some gift cards from J and R and want to buy from them.

However, I'm concerned that if there is a problem with the computer, I will not be able to take to Apple Store and have it dealt with.

For example, if I get a computer with multiple stuck pixels or unacceptable scratch, will Apple Store replace the machine, although it was bought from an authorized reseller, not directly from Apple?

Anybody have any experience with this? Would hate to deal with the web based reseller if I had a problem with the almost $3000 computer....

Thanks in advance.

2. AR15MBP macrumors regular

They won't replace it outright. I bought from Best Buy and even within the 14 return period they said to have it replaced at Best Buy.

However, if you have any issues with it any Mac can be taken to the Apple store for service.

One thing to consider: I think J&R are sellers on Amazon. If you were to buy it on Amazon and pick J&R as the seller, you may get Amazon's more lenient return policy and better customer service. Don't quote me though, I'm not sure, just throwing it out there.

3. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I bought a unibody macbook pro from an authorized mail order. Upon arrival, I configured it with several programs and data. Over the next few days I noticed the fans were being noisy and took it to the genius bar at the local Apple store. They offered to send it for repairs, or they told me to ask the selling dealer (out of state) to replace as it was only a few days old.

I asked to speak to the store manager and explained that the selling authorized dealer was out of stock, and while I could return it and but it again elsewhere - this was very disappointing and inconvenient.

He finally agreed to give me a brand new machine - and what is more, the store swapped my already configured hard drive into the new machine so that all the setup work would not be lost. So in my case the store was responsive, but took a little friendly insistence on my part.