Will apple store exchange defective iPad 2, even though it was bought from 3rd party

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrMac'n'Cheese, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

I bought my iPad 2 from B&H photo in NY.

It's plagued with the dreaded backlight bleeding and a couple dead pixels.

I'm from south jersey, my intent is to get it replaced, but I don't want to drive miles to the store, only to be turned away, does anyone who bought from a 3rd party or eBay have experience exchanging a defective iPad for a replacement at the Apple store itself.

My iPad 2 is Ver. White 64GB.

2. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

3. MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Ok thank you.

I will call the store in advance to be safe, because I honestly got different answers from everyone I ask.

I appreciate your input:)

4. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

they will. apple has the best customer service!

5. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

If they are an authorized reseller (which I believe they are) you shouldn't have any problems at all.

6. thaialism macrumors member

if it was me i would argue with them, it shouldn't matter where i bought their product....1 year warranty is 1 year.

7. MCRunning macrumors 6502

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You should go to Apple website, click on "support," and look around for a link on getting in-warranty service. That should lead you to making a Genius Bar appointment at a store and time of your choice. Best way to guarantee you don't waste a trip.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep - and with the model that you bought, you probably have the highest odds of them having another one.

10. MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

No dice, I got back from my appointment the "genius," and I use the term lightly, needed the greater part of 20 minutes just to confirm there were dead pixels, which could be seen a mile away.........

They did not have any Verizon iPads in stock, so he had to order it, I was told about 2 weeks wait for it to come in.

So much for the claims they have a horde just for defect replacements..........

They'll call me once the (NEW??) one is in and I just bring in my old iPad 2 and work order, no wait or appointment needed, and they'll swap it on the spot.

I'm guessing I'll be getting a new replacement, not a brown box refurb, the genius said it does not matter where you buy the iPad.

Since it has to be ordered, am I safe in assuming the swap will be for a new one???

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not really. Returned iPads get shipped back to China to be tested, and have parts replaced as necessary, get a new serial number marking them as refurbs, before being handed out to people needing replacement iPads. When a product is first launched, they set aside a certain number of new ones in brown box packages to be used as replacements. They've obviously ran out of those. Whether they are making more new brown box replacements, or some of the returns will be ready to hand out by the time your "order" comes in, it's hard to say. Of course, there's always the chance they'll just pull out a retail-boxed one to give you. But that's not guaranteed.

But I wouldn't stress over it, I've had several iPod touches replaced, and they were all good as new. And you get the same warranty period as your original purchase.

12. MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Yeah I don't care if it's refurbished, as long as the quality matches my current iPad, which has been babied, ergo, it's brand new/excellent condition, so i don't want a refurb with scratches on the screen or dings on the back.

13. dave006, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

dave006 macrumors 68020

Since the iPad 2 is still very new and in short supply, you will almost 99.999% going to get a new "brown box" iPad 2 within the next several months. Even if it was a Apple refurbished unit later in the year, it would have a new case, battery and should look brand new to you.

The who you purchased from does not impact warranty coverage as long as you have an "in region" unit. For example a US model and you are in the US.

The who you purchased from does determine what happens if you want to return it at the Apple store. In this case it is not going to be an issue since you are going to get a warranty exchange unit.

Dave

14. MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Thanks for your input, and maturity, and for not me telling I should have bought directly from Apple :D

15. thompson11 macrumors member

FYI I had a somewhat similar experience today: bought my Verizon iPad from Target, took it in for a dead pixel replacement.

Genius said that for third-party purchases they have to send out for the model and can't do an immediate one-for-one exchange. I went to a smaller Apple store (starting to regret that, when I have access to a flagship) but whatevs. It's just a dead pixel, and I get to keep it until they call and tell me the new one is in.

16. MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Similar here but he said they had no verizon stock whatsoever, I can handle the wait since I still have my defective one until the new one comes in.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The replacement ones will probably arrive in shock-proof cases separately from retail box.

It'll look new.

18. thompson11 macrumors member

Exactly. For a solitary dead pixel, in my case, a couple weeks is hardly an inconvenience. And in the end I get a shiny new iPad that I can immediately take to have a Ghost Armor shield stuck to the back.

19. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

Apple will check the serial number and replace it. If it is defective, they will replace it.;)

20. MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Good idea, my current one, even though I treat it like a newborn, has the faintest hairline scratch near the home button, on the white bezel??/paint portion, you really need bright light and have to angle it just so to be able to see it, but its there nonetheless, so I'm teetering on buying a Ghost Armor, even though I normally hate skins and shields.

Thanks, I already went this noon, mine is legit, from B&H photo/video in NY, replacement was ordered already.

21. thompson11 macrumors member

I haven't decided yet about the front/screen protector, I have a smart cover but I'm worried about it slipping off in a bag. I'm definitely getting the rear covered, as that's the part that is most likely to get scratched.

I'll probably get the front done too... and I'll probably go straight from the Apple Store to the mall where there is a Ghost Armor booth and have them install it—no risk of scratching it in 30 minutes :)

22. bluez3 macrumors member

Keep in mind if you ever wanted to return the iPad to b&h or got some silly extended replacement plan they try to sell, your replacement from apple will not have the same serial # and they will not accept a return or deny your coverage.

23. MrMac'n'Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Thanks for the heads-up, but I didn't bother since I take really good care of my Apple products, and I upgrade every year, as far as iPods/iPads go :D