will apple store have 4 core machines?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ricowatatsu, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ricowatatsu macrumors newbie

Hello mac rumors forum. I am a cheapskate mac user, and would like to buy a 4 core mac pro for my power user needs. I also am very impatient and would like to pick the thing up at a store, since one is really near to me. I want one that has the 4 core and an 8800, but i could not get any straight answers from the looser apple rep i talked to about the availability of such machines through hardware channels. Do stores have machines like this available sometimes? I understand nobody can ever know for certain, but I would like a few opinions before i leave the safety of my cave.

2. matthews macrumors regular

From what employees have told me at the Apple Store, they only stock the base configuration of the Mac Pro (2x 2.8Ghz Quad) in stores.

So if you want the single Quad you'll have to shop online.

But always call and ask first, I could be wrong.

3. sirris101 macrumors member

I also hear Apple stores will carry a 3.2ghz/8800 config for $4799. It also includes a 500gb HD and two Superdrives.

4. conancn macrumors member

confirmed. Only standard MP will be carried in store.

5. caeneal macrumors member

I was in the same position, and I called ahead and asked about the single-quad. I was told they had it in stock, but when I got there (90-minute drive), they only had the stock configuration. I don't know what the person who told me that was thinking, and we couldn't figure it out either.

So, NO, they will NOT have the single-quad MP.

That said, the folks there were trying to be very helpful, but they really hadn't been trained all that well. They didn't know that the single-quad even existed as a BTO option, they didn't know that there was an 8800GT, much less that they didn't have it in stock or if they ever would. They didn't know that the higher-education warranty was slightly different from the standard warranty. Etc, etc.

I guess I did so much research before committing the money, that I learned a lot. Wonder if I could get a job....it'd be a hell of a commute...

6. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The Apple stores would only stock the base configuration. This is the same with ANY Apple computer, including notebooks.

Also, the 8800GT isn't going to be available for a couple of weeks yet so your best bet would be to order your BTO online, and then when the 8800GT is released for the Mac Pro's, you'll be within the first few to get one.

Can't wait til I get my Mac Pro :D

Lol, would be a nice job though, surrounded by all those Apple products :D

7. matthews macrumors regular

Yeah, when I went to the Apple Store they guys working had no idea there was even a Single Quad version.

Made me feel a little strange that I knew more about the product line than they did.

8. iAmRod macrumors member

I have the luxury of living close to both a "true" Apple store and one of those authorized Apple retail stores that carry ONLY Apple products, but is known by a different name. I asked once about whether or not they would carry anything other than stock configs to which they replied, "We can get you whatever you want."

So, in that respect, there's at least one "Apple" store I can get any type of config I want. But I'm sure they're just ordering and having it delivered to them just like it would be to me if I ordered from Apple online.

9. David N macrumors member

I can confirm that Apple authorized retailers order your system online for you and have it delivered to their store.

The local Apple authorized retailer here is awesome. They gave me a quote of $280 installed for an extra 4gb of ram in a new Mac Pro! Keep in mind this is Canadian and it's a bit harder/more expensive to get the ram up here...

Plus, they will deliver it and set it up for free as well as spend an hour with you configuring it and answering your questions. Not like I couldn't do it myself, but hey, it's nice to have somebody with you for an hour if you're a new Mac user.

10. Jonny427 macrumors regular

Huh, thats not too assuring :p