Will apple store install a ssd and will it be TRIM enabled?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I want to replace my Hard drive with an SSD through The Apple store. Do they install SSDs and will it be TRIM enabled?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ask them. That is the only way to know for sure. If they do, then it's most likely an Apple SSD, which has TRIM enabled by default.

3. Kraznoff macrumors member

Unless you buy a massively overpriced and underpowered apple ssd you will not have trim enabled and they probably will not install it. Now here's the good news, you can buy a variety of better ssd's at a lower price on sites such as new egg and it's so easy to install I can teach my grandma to do it. AND installing it yourself DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Just make sure you get a torx screwdriver, when I went to install my ssd I took the bottom panel off only to find out I need a special screwdriver, and that's annoying.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you mean that you added the SSD through the CTO(call to order) program while configuring your mac, both answers are yes.

If not, they might install a third party SSD for you, but it won't be trim enabled.

5. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

I wanted Trim. If not, I will stick to my HHD which works ok. Thanks anyway

6. rick98761 macrumors 6502

There is a free app out there I used that enables trim on any ssd. I'm not home but the name is something like osx trim enabler. Google that I'm sure it will pop up. I ran it and os x now shows my drive as trim enabled.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It doesn't work that well with all SSDs though.

8. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

That TRIM enabler caused beach balls and was very unstable with my old Vertex 3. Generally you do not need it since the majority of modern SSDs' garbage collection is good enough.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Enabling Trim on almost any SSD is as easy as downloading Trimenabler start the App, press a Button and restart. Every idiot can do it.
    It is not necessary with most SSDs though. Why do you want Trim so badly there has changed a lot since the first SSDs were launched and even an SSD with hugely degraded performance smokes any HDD any time.
    Also the Kingston V+100 has such aggresive garbage collection it really doesn't run significantly faster with Trim anyway. That is the same SSD as Apple uses.

10. rick98761 macrumors 6502

Hmm works great with my vertex 2

11. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

My experience with my local Genius Bar is that they won't perform any hardware upgrades for you - they will only replace like with like.

12. Kraznoff macrumors member

So you want to upgrade to an SSD but only if you can enable trim and have apple install it? Save your parents some money and stick with your HDD.

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I'm using the TRIM hack on my Vertex 3 with zero issues, and stupid fast speeds.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't know what "massively overpriced" is to you, but a 128GB SSD upgrade on a MBP can be had for $200. I just checked Amazon and the Samsung 470 120GB SSD (popular around here) is now $194. If one wants a faster SATA III SSD the Vertex 3 in that size is $274.

So for six dollars more he gets a SSD that is covered by the machine's warranty and has native TRIM. Plus he does not need to monkey around taking apart his new Macbook and worrying if the SSD will work properly.

What is so wrong with that.

[​IMG]

Yes, that was his question. I'm honestly curious myself if an Apple Store would do this.

:rolleyes:

15. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

What's wrong is that you're missing completely the fact that Apple will not install an SSD after the fact for the same price as they will in a BTO. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least twice as much.

jW

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So you are just guessing then?

I have not yet seen a forum post from anybody that they (Apple) will even do it.

17. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

I just hear conflicting reports about trim enabler. Thats all. I guess the trim enabling option is off the table. I am looking for an SSD with a maintance tool that you know is working thats every bit as reliable as TRIM. I have no problem installing it myself. I did it before. Anything similar to an Apple SSD?

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Samsung 470 Series. Apple uses the same controller in some of the MBAs. Kingston SSDNow V+100 is also good since the controller is the same as in the Toshibas Apple uses.

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, I'm not just guessing. I know for a fact that Apple's prices for repair parts (the method that the Apple Store would use to obtain the item) are significantly higher than their BTO prices. I'm simply not at liberty to reveal the actual prices, nor do I know how much they would include for labor. I simply know that you're making incorrect assumptions, and was correcting them so the OP is not getting incorrect information.

jW

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

The drive Apple uses is a Samsung 470 as their BTO SSD option?

21. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

Lol the fact that you are not seeing is Apple gets to keep your 500GB hard drive which is around $70 so you are actually paying $270 for that SATAII 128GB SSD!!!

22. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love to buy it. Why doesnt Apple allow trim on it? Why is it so difficult?

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No. It's Toshiba HG3. However, some MBAs ship with the same controller as Samsung 470.

Different firmware.