Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bellagem

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I pre-ordered the 6 plus from Apple.com a little too late Friday morning so my ship date is 3-4 weeks. If I wait in line on Friday at the Apple store, will they let me buy an iphone by cancelling by current pre-order? or will they turn me away saying I'm not eligible for an upgrade due to the existing pre-order? I just wouldn't want to wait in line for hours only to find out I can't get a phone due to this issue.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Your upgrade date will not reset immediately. It's too late now. The only way is if you can do an upgrade swap with another line on your account.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
All Apple store have been instructed to talk to the crown around 5am, answer any questions you may have and around 6am will hand out reservation cards of the model you want. I say wait in line and if you get the card for the phone model you want, while in line cancel your order and by the time the store opens at 8am you should be good to buy it in person.

Your upgrade date can take up to 24hrs to reset, but the majority of the time it resets within 10-20 minutes.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
The sooner you cancel the faster it will reset. I'd advise to do it now. Tomorrow it might not reset.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
All Apple store have been instructed to talk to the crown around 5am, answer any questions you may have and around 6am will hand out reservation cards of the model you want. I say wait in line and if you get the card for the phone model you want, while in line cancel your order and by the time the store opens at 8am you should be good to buy it in person.

Your upgrade date can take up to 24hrs to reset, but the majority of the time it resets within 10-20 minutes.

Reservation cards no longer exist. Confirmed by a buddy of mine that works at the store. They have this new electronic system in place.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Reservation cards no longer exist. Confirmed by a buddy of mine that works at the store. They have this new electronic system in place.

Yes but if you don't have an iPhone etc they will still be handing out paper cards.

I'd recommend cancelling your order now, it would suck to be in line know that you can get a phone and your upgrade eligibility isn't intact.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Yes but if you don't have an iPhone etc they will still be handing out paper cards.

I'd recommend cancelling your order now, it would suck to be in line know that you can get a phone and your upgrade eligibility isn't intact.

I hope everyone that wants to get an iPhone legitimately for personal use will have iPhones or devices that can get text/email so that those scalpers won't be able to buy paper cards.

JoeBenjamin

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Florida
I've seen varying reports of people who cancelled an Apple.com pre-order while waiting in line the day of the launch of a new iPhone getting AT&T upgrade eligibility releases within 15 minutes up to 3 hours, but not longer than that. I think the "up to 24 hours" and "within 3 days" thing is AT&T and other carriers trying to cover their butts in case a janitor trips over a server power cord.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.