Will Apple Store let me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhadbulldog, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jhadbulldog macrumors newbie

I would really like to buy an mba, but I'm not sure if it handle the work I need it to. If I go to an Apple Store, would they let me install third-party software on a demo mba? I would have to install it from a dvd and then transfer files from a flash drive. It seems like a bad idea for them to let customers do this, so is there another way to test before I buy?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Why don't you tell us what work you need to do?

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, tell us what you need to do. I'm sure there are folks here that have already done whatever it is you need to do and can advise you. As far as the store letting you install software on their computers, I wouldn't even entertain the idea.

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

The often run software on demo models that returns everything to a certain restore point on a reboot. This way people can do whatever they want with the machines, and at the end of the day (or when there's a problem) they simply reset it and everything's back to normal.

If that's the case in your local Apple Store they might just let you test some things — as long as it's legal though.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Just buy the thing and figure it out on your own. They've nixed restocking fees, so you're good to go.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

They are no longer charging restocking fees, so just buy and try it.

7. jhadbulldog thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, let me clarify. I have Finale Notation 2007 on my ancient pc. I will be upgrading in the near future. The GPO portion has a minimum requirement of a 1.8 ghz processor. Someone on here told me that more detailed compositions will not run very well on the minimum. I would like to test some of my more involved songs on the 1.86 ghz mba.

Also, about the no restocking fees... I am 4 hours from the nearest Apple Store, so I will probably be buying online. How would I return an online purchase if it didn't suit my needs?

8. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i am a music student and have finale 2010. i have a 2.66 c2d. it runs very nicely. a 1.86 might be cutting it close on the really detailed comps you do. if you get the highest mba you can upgrade the processor to 2.13 which will run it fine. just get 4 gb ram also. are you installing 2007 on your mba or are you upgrading to 2011. also are you buying an external optical drive because the mba doesnt have one and finale is on a disk.

9. Raqem macrumors newbie

I say it's worth a shot.

One time I was concerned about whether or not a MacBook could play a 1080p MKV video. I brought a sample file on a USB drive, and they were okay with me copying it over to the laptop and playing it.

Another time they let me and some other folks rename all of the music files in iTunes to kanji to test a feature. They said they would just reboot the laptop afterwords to automatically restore it to its previous state.

Installing an app might be a bit much, but I think you might get lucky.

10. hawse771 macrumors member

so you're going to bring your own external DVD drive as well?

11. jhadbulldog thread starter macrumors newbie

I will definitely install the 2011 version on my new laptop. I don't plan to buy an external optical drive, at least not at first. Doesn't it have a feature where I can use some other computer's optical drive?

12. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

it needs to be a mac but yea you can install it from another optical drive.

13. jhadbulldog thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I thought if they were willing to let me test this, they wouldn't mind letting me "borrow" one of the other macbooks in the store. Perhaps I'm just incredibly too hopeful...

14. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

If you're going to buy it online and not go to the store, why are you asking us if you could go to the store and try it? That's what I don't get. Since restocking fees will not exist anymore, just order it, since you aren't going to go to an Apple store, unless you wanted to try it at an authorized retailer. In that case, I don't think they [the retailer] will like that very much.
    Can you download a demo on to the comp without plugging in a USB drive?
    I wouldn't really want to physically put anything into the computer, making myself look suspicious.

15. jhadbulldog thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple Store that I will be near in a couple of months is in another state (with a higher tax rate), so online is a better bet. I would rather test first to know what I am buying so I don't have to worry with a return. (Also, any excuse to go in an Apple Store is great!)

Yes, I could download a demo of the software, but I need to test my personal files.

16. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You would have to ship it back.

Another option would be to get one from Best Buy. They have recently done away with restocking fees as well.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Honestly, while obviously not required to, if you go at a time other than peak hours, find someone who is friendly, and are friendly yourself, they may very well let you. If they do, be sure to give them at least a $20 tip as that is service far above and beyond the norm.

As said, you may just want to buy it. If you live that far away from an Apple Store, you will save time and money just purchasing it outright. We have the new MBA and it is very, very nice. I would get the higher processor option though, and if it is a intense program, 4GB of RAM. Ours only has 2GB and it still runs just fine for normal programs.

18. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

Surely, though, the requirements placed on a processor for a program from 2007 is different than now, right? The 1.8 GHz processors of 3-4 years ago were not as efficient per clock cycle. Would this matter?