Will Apple Store Migrate ALL My PC Applications to My New iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by re2st, Jun 8, 2011.

1. re2st macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

My old PC died, the motherboard is burned. The hard drive is fine. I'm contemplating of moving to Mac.

I need the PC for Quickbooks and Office.

If I buy the new iMac, will the Apple Store help me migrate my old hard drive to the new Mac? That includes all the software applications, not just the files/documents.

Thanks!

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You can get Quickbooks and Office for the Mac.

3. re2st thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks MacBoobsPro, I know that. Bot both sucks on a Mac (relatively to the PC version). Besides, I need no learning curve for both applications for this particular user.

But anyway, my question is still te same. Will Apple store migrate all my applications to the new Mac? Whatever the options are (Parallels, Vmware, etc.)

4. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

I'm sure they call help set up virtualization for you

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple is not going to give you software for free.

You can however buy vmware, parallels, CrossOver, or the free virtualbox.

You can even buy migration tools for some of them. I think either vmware or parallels.

6. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

No, data migration is files, essentially - pictures, documents, etc. They don't transfer applications for you, that's up to you to re-install as you need.

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

The answer is no, not at all.

They will probably offer to sell you some comparable or equivalent software for the Mac, but the only paid applications that will transfer from PC to a Mac are things you've purchased on Steam that are available on both Mac and PC through Steam.

So basically, games that Valve software has made in the last decade, plus the occasional 3rd party game.

iTunes is free on both platforms, and you'll get that and the rest of iLife with your new Mac, but that's it.

No other software.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If you buy Fusion, it has an option to convert your old PC hard drive to a virtual machine. You might look into that.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm pretty sure the Apple store cannot do migration of any kind if all you have is the old HDD without an enclosure.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, "migration" of Windows software applications to a new Windows computer is such hocus-pocus that I'd be surprised if you find any major reseller that offers to perform that service for you (short of having you bring them the install discs and they manually reinstalling the applications fresh for you).

The way most Windows software applications store their files in multiple folders and keep settings stored in the registry does not make it easy to "migrate" them to a different computer. There are third-party applications that claim to offer that ability, but from the reviews I've read, they all seem to have certain apps that they get choked up on and not do a 100% successful migration.