Will Apple store swap my iPhone ??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by al82, Dec 11, 2008.

1. al82 macrumors regular

Hey guys (and girls)

I have an iPhone 3g, have had it for 4 months.

I dont know whats going on with it but the problem i am having is in areas where there is weak signal i now get zero signal.

At my home over the last few months i constantly got 2-3 bars. Now i get zero bars all the time. I took my sim card out and put it in my 3 year old Nokia and i get full bars.

Im going to have trouble showing this at the Apple store though as the Apple store is in central London and i always get reception there. The arial in it isnt broken but is faaar weaker than it should be.

I tried the ultimate test a few mins ago. I got my neighbor to pop over with his iphone and he gets full bars.

Will they swap the phone over or send it for repair?

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Try giving Apple a call and ask them what you should do, and any way you can prove that you are having hardware signal problems. Such as sending a picture of the two iPhone's next to each other. Also, a restore might help so give that a try.

3. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that mate. I have tried restoring it. Have also tried turning 3g on and off. No luck.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Good advice. Try a restore first, and if that doesn't work, take a picture of the 2 phones next to each other and bring that photo with you.

EDIT: then go with the photo idea.

I get crappy reception at home too- usually 2 bars, sometimes 3- and I'm looking forward to moving soon. I get 5 bars in my new place! Huge difference....

5. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Its weird because at first it worked fine.

Now it's always on zero bars and it's annoying because im paying line rental and cant use the iphone, i have resorted to putting my sim card in my Nokia.

6. davidgrimm macrumors regular

In-store replace is possible, not policy...

I had several problems with my first generation phone. I took it to the Apple store (an hour away) and they told me since I had it for more than 3 months, they were supposed to send it in for servicing. I whined (politely) about needing the phone for business and not having a replacement and the long drive. The tech guy got the manager to approve an in-store replacement. It didn't hurt that I have about 5 macs registered to me and that the phones were no longer in short supply by this time. My phone's screen was also completely non-touch sensitive. There was no debate that it had a serious problem.

The moral of the story is that the manager can over-ride the policy and get you a new phone. Its helps if you are polite and inform them that you depend on your phone for your livelihood. Also, if they recognize you has a past customer - a big plus. If you go in looking like a college student and with a Dell laptop in your bag, well service is only a 5 days away ;-)

good luck with it...

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

For the heck of it, to see how different your signal strength is between the two iPhone's, try a Field Test side by side.

In order to perform a field test:
    1) Tap the Phone, then Keypad
    3) Type *3001#12345#* and tap call
    4) In the top left the signal strength will be displayed
    5) Throughout the Menu's you can find information on which towers you are connected to and signal strength from each, just to compare with your friends iPhone 3G and see if a problem is obvious.

(FYI: The lower the number for signal strength, the better)

Just in case: Don't force a hard restart of your iPhone while you are in the field test or the numerical signal strength will stick until you restore again. Although, I did the hard restart intentionally because it looked cool and to see a more accurate signal strength was neat, a fun mod.

8. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

dont you mean the top left? I just did this and my number is 101 on edge

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

ONE OH ONE? what the crap. if he says that the lower the better..I'm getting 5 bars on EDGE, and I get a -81.

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Sorry, I mean the top left - and sorry, the higher the number the better, I was not paying attention to the negative. I have 5 bars of 3G and I'm around -74.

11. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

no I think you were right, the lower the better. I get like one to 2 bars at the most in my house so 101 is bad thats what I got.

12. Xtgirl macrumors regular

Yeah, the lower number is better....higher=poopy...especially 101:(

Mine's -113 right now....so I win!!!!!...I mean lose:(

13. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

A higher negative number is technically lower. So the smaller or higher the negative numer, the better - therefore it's a higher number. You get the idea. The closer you are to zero the better the signal.