Will Apple Stores ever have "Fully Loaded" MacBook Pros in Stock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by underattack, Jun 9, 2017.

1. underattack macrumors member

It looks like Apple stores now are pretty well stocked with the "default" configuration of Macbook Pros. But what about "built to order" configuration? Are they ever ready to pick up in the store? Or will they only be available if you order them for pickup? (which of course takes as long as having them delivered to your house)

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

They sometimes carry some of the more common build to order models, but it's hit and miss. Normally build to orders need to be ordered and built.

3. justinf77 macrumors 6502

Apple Stores usually carry one maxed out or nearly maxed out BTO model for both the 13" and 15". Last year it was the 13" with i7 / 16 / 512 configuration and I'm betting it is the same this year.

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Yes.

If we look at the "Identify your MacBook Pro" Apple support article, we can see all of the part numbers (i.e. configurations as sold excluding built to order models) that the 2017 MacBook Pro has. I've copied them below, and compared them with ones that are listed for sale at apple.com. The ones for sale online are in bold.

15":
    • MPTR2xx/A
    • MPTT2xx/A
    • MPTU2xx/A
    • MPTV2xx/A
    • MPTW2xx/A
    • MPTX2xx/A
    13" with Touch Bar:
    • MPXV2xx/A
    • MPXW2xx/A
    • MPXX2xx/A
    • MPXY2xx/A
    • MQ002xx/A
    • MQ012xx/A
    13" without Touch Bar:
    • MPXQ2xx/A
    • MPXR2xx/A
    • MPXT2xx/A
    • MPXU2xx/A
    So this year there are four models that exist but are not available online*. An educated guess is that these will be:
    • 15", 3.1GHz i7, 1TB, AMD 560, Space Grey
    • 15", 3.1GHz i7, 1TB, AMD 560, Silver
    • 13", Touch Bar, 3.5GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB, Space Grey
    • 13", Touch Bar, 3.5GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB, Silver
    And these will be available in most larger stores. It is almost certain that the Apple employee you speak to will have no idea that these configs exist, so you'll have to push them to check.

*Of course, you can configure the same specification online, but this will be considered a BTO model and thus have a different part number in a different format - despite being materially identical products. Nerds can spot the difference between such units by looking at the back of the retail box: BTO models have no large specifications sticker, while retail configs do.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Another poster said there's a 1TB 15" build available as the tier above the 2,799 model. 3.1GHz / 1TB / 560 4GB.

I only wanted the 2,799 model so I didn't think to ask when I was there yesterday.

Edit: kinda sorta ninjaed

6. underattack thread starter macrumors member

I was able to pick up a "fully loaded" MBPro at the local Apple store today (1TB/16GB/i7) . They had a few of them in stock in either color. I first called the store's phone number (which got me to the national call center). The call center was able to confirm stock. I was skeptical, but it worked out fine. Thanks everybody for the help.

7. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

13" or 15"?

8. Drecca macrumors regular

I got the 13 inch i7 1tb 16gb at an Apple Store in Montreal tonight. Just walked in and they had it in both colours

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

They often do but there is no way of checking short of ringing up and asking.

10. Kiretas macrumors regular

I bought a new 15 inch yesterday at the UK Regent Street store.

I asked for the top spec one, as I assumed they had nothing beyond the 2.9ghz, as everything else is BTO. However, the staff member showed me on the stock terminal that they had a small number of configurations with larger hard drives, the 3.1ghz processor and fully maxed out machines. I was tempted to get the faster machine, but they only had it in silver and I was set on getting space grey, plus it's already expensive enough as it is.

11. Soulful macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a fully loaded 15"/2TB/3.1Ghz Space Grey MacBook Pro anywhere in the USA...
    I don't live in the USA and need someone to bring it to me in West Africa.

Anyone able to suggest how I locate whether one of the stores has it in stock ?? I could order through the online store but the earliest date it would be ready is the 29th of June and the person who is travelling back to me in Nigeria leaves a couple of days before.

If I could locate a store with a suitable machine, I would pay them and have someone pick it up. Any suggestions welcome.

12. brianxhopkins macrumors newbie

I placed an order for those specs online on the 9th and still getting "Order Being Processed". Looks like the stores won't get them until the 27th or so.

13. underattack thread starter macrumors member

13"