Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You are not very well informed are you? There are many choices for a phablet.
And the Note tablets are selling well too.

What about Phablets the size of the Note?

Its uncertain whether the Note sells well because of itself or because of the digitizer. Also how many people use the digitizer for anything more than can be accomplished with an iPad stylus?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Gained thickness and weight would be rather negligible . Its simply a layer beneath the LCD screeen. In the thickness could stay the same as the iPad air if the display were laminated to the glass surface.

Also- resting on your laurels is NEVER good. There is a big demand for active styli like the galaxy note. All Note models are selling very well. And despite the technological limits of current ipad styli there already is a huge variety of handwriting input apps (penultimate, etc.)

Not saying Apple will never put a digitizer on the iPad. And agree that resting on laurels isn't good. But the next big thing for Apple doesn't necessarily have to be a digitizer. There could be other things they are planning on. Just because YOU think putting in a digitizer should be the next thing, doesn't mean that Apple will necessarily see it that way.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Not saying Apple will never put a digitizer on the iPad. And agree that resting on laurels isn't good. But the next big thing for Apple doesn't necessarily have to be a digitizer. There could be other things they are planning on. Just because YOU think putting in a digitizer should be the next thing, doesn't mean that Apple will necessarily see it that way.

Im not saying it is the next big thing. But clearly Apple is positioning the iPad more and more as a mature platform - also for professional work. I dont see why the handwriting and drawing experience shouldnt be drastically improved if Apple can do it rather easily.

----------

What about Phablets the size of the Note?

Its uncertain whether the Note sells well because of itself or because of the digitizer. Also how many people use the digitizer for anything more than can be accomplished with an iPad stylus?

HTC ONE MAX Lumia 1520, Sony Z1 Ultra, just 3 that came to my mind without thinking.

Your argumentation is double standard. No one can prove that people buy the Note because of the digitizer. However the digitizer is marketed as one of the key features if not the key feature of this device.

One can be pretty sure that Samsung has tons of data who buys their product and why they buy their product. If the digitizer was a neglible selling point Samsung would have not expanded the note product line with tablets of several sizes.

Also I know for sure that at least in the creative community the wish for a true digitizer for the iPad is definitely there. Also there are tons of Apps that are created for stylus input (Paper, Penultimate, etc.) and handwriting recognition.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Im not saying it is the next big thing. But clearly Apple is positioning the iPad more and more as a mature platform - also for professional work. I dont see why the handwriting and drawing experience shouldnt be drastically improved if Apple can do it rather easily.

Who knows, maybe it IS easy, and Apple will add it to the next gen iPad. But there are always a hundred features Apple could potentially add next, and how it picks which features to add -- well, I've found that my pick of next features never exactly match what Apple actually picks.

So if Apple adds digitizer, I wouldn't be surprised, but if it leaves it out, I wouldn't be surprised either.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Hold on. There are consumer groups that are more valuable than others. You want the creative forcers and pro users on your platform even if their buying force is small compared to the mass market.

I'm not ignoring your response, but Night Spring is making my points better than I could.

I'll just say that's what YOU want on Apple's platform. There's no evidence it's what they want.

masterpace

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Montreal
Just get the right tablet man!

Hey dardngooddesign,

I agree that the ipad could include some Wacom. Having an active pen is definettely a plus on a tablet. Well, if you take notes in school or university or just take notes during a meeting, it's useful. Have you tried a Surface Pro 2? Before people try shooting me, I own a MBP retina, an ipad air, a Surface 2 and an Alienware 17. I'm not biased.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Who knows, maybe it IS easy, and Apple will add it to the next gen iPad.

I think if Dell, Samsung, Sony, Lenovo, Microsoft, and Toshiba can get pen integration off the ground, Apple might as well. Although Apple might be less willing to license an outside techniology. I believe apple has patents on alternate pen technologies.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm still holding out hope for the iPad Pro. Also the Adobe Project Mighty pen should be able to do many of these things. But I'll admit being tempted by the Surface Pro. But like I said, I just keep hoping for the iPad Pro. Hoping for faster, larger screen area, more RAM for higher-end apps, stylus support. iOS 8 with better multitasking and file management. Maybe a USB port with basic peripheral support, or an App Store of sorts for devices and installing support for them over USB. Maybe a Pro store? I'd pay more for apps that are optimized for the higher-end device.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
You are not very well informed are you? There are many choices for a phablet.
And the Note tablets are selling well too.

They're kinda not. The Note III is doing very well, but the 8" and the 10.1? Not so much. I had one and I could NOT find someone to sell it to.

The problem is that if you start cramming all of this into the iPad, two things will happen: it'll lose its "thin and light" status, and it'll cost a LOT more. I could see there being an "Air, Pro, and Mini" line, sort of like how the workstations are separated, but the LAST thing we want is for Apple to absorb the professional market into the standard iPad line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.