Will apple swap out the 10.6 keyboard for 10.7 unit?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GhostMac24, Jul 31, 2011.

1. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Just bought a new iMac this week. It came, however, with SL. No big deal since they give you the free download for Lion. The problem though is the keyboard now doesn't match up (i.e., the F4 quick key). I realize it is just one key and I can easily look past this. I just wasn't sure if they would swap it out since it "technically" doesn't go with the OSX that is current and "sold" with the new unit. I didn't see another thread talking about this. If I missed it feel free to direct me that way.

Cheers.

edit: I found the thread "iMac keyboard layout with Lion" but that seems to be about remapping the key to do what it is supposed to do.

2. meli macrumors member

You should call. I think it's the type of thing that if you strike the right attitude (nice with just the right amount of persistence), and happen to get someone who isn't in a bad mood, I bet they'll send you a free replacement.

If you bought it at an Apple store, bring it back there and do the same thing.

I'd be sure to say something like, "I thought all new computers were shipping with Lion (and the new keyboard), it says that on your website". Something like that.

3. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Good idea Meli. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I have at least one contact at my local Apple store that we know each other by name so I'll start with that.

Thanks for your reply!

4. monaarts macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is the wireless keyboard updated? On apples website it still shows the old one. :-/

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Umm .. yeah, that's the point of having new keyboard, just one key difference in F4. If you just buy the new iMac and feel eligible to get the new one, please do so and hope a nice manager would help you out.

But really, there is no difference for just having F4 key remapped and rebranded from Dashboard to LaunchPad, when you can do it yourself on "old" SL keyboard :D .. F4 for dashboard, F5 for Launchpad. Just good as new

Now if the new wireless keyboard has numeric pad on it .. that's a different story ... that's NEW :D

6. Cripps macrumors regular

[QUOTE

Is the wireless keyboard updated? On apples website it still shows the old one. :-/[/QUOTE]

I have just received BTO iMac and it has new wireless keyboard,
    F3 is mission control and F4 is Launch pad.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I got A New Wired One

My iMac was self-spec, came with SL, but the free upgrade to Lion was included so no hassle there. Got the old keyboard though.....I will email "My Friends @ Apple" and see what the answer is on this one....It doesn't bother me much though. :)