Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I'm guessing it doesn't? as the 30 ACD doesnt have any connections that will work. it doesnt have HDMI ports.

I have a 17 MBP with EyeTV Diversity and wondered if it was possible to hook an Apple TV to it.

Any advice / suggestions appreciated. Thanks

dapetrun

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Western Pennsylvania
I would think that it would. You would need to have a DVI cable to HDMI connection and those are available. Check out MonoPrice.com for the converter plugs or cables. They pretty much have them all and are all of excellent quality.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The 30" display has a resolution of 2560x1600, and requires a dual-link DVI adapter. The Apple TV can only output 1920x1080.

Therefore, even if you could get the Apple TV to work via an HDMI to DVI adapter — it wouldn't fill the entire 30" screen.

Waste of time.

As for the EyeTV Diversity, that likely won't work either. The Apple TV only outputs via component and HDMI. Unless the EyeTV Diversity has a component-in connection, it won't work.

dapetrun

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Western Pennsylvania
...and I forgot about powering the ACD 30" would have to come from some other source besides the ATV such as your MBP. The poster above is correct about the dual DVI so it may not be worth your time or the price of the adapters. Sorry...

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Sorry forgot to tell you guys I have the very last 17MBP. ie. all alu case and full DVI port

So if the Picture Quality is gonna be crap then it aint worth bothering with? Maybe I should just get a 42 or 50 inch plasma screen instead.

I thought of getting the ACD 30" so I can stream films to it from my MBP from another room. But seems its not possible to connect the Apple TV directly into the ACD whilst having the MBP unconnected to the display.

Maybe Apple should bring out an Full HD TV/Plasma with built in Apple TV?!?

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
the post above is correct

HOWEVER

if you connect an appletv or a mac book or a mac mini or anything that does not support a dual-link DVI connection, it will function totally fine, just not at the full resolustion of the ACD

it will work and output 1920x1080 to the display, which is totally fine as no movies are around with resolutions that compare to the display itself

I thought of getting the ACD 30" so I can stream films to it from my MBP from another room. But seems its not possible to connect the Apple TV directly into the ACD whilst having the MBP unconnected to the display.

what you are trying to do will work, but it's silly as you can get a 37" lcd tv for way less than a 30" cinema and it'll look just as good

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
the post above is correct

HOWEVER

if you connect an appletv or a mac book or a mac mini or anything that does not support a dual-link DVI connection, it will function totally fine, just not at the full resolustion of the ACD

it will work and output 1920x1080 to the display, which is totally fine as no movies are around with resolutions that compare to the display itself

what you are trying to do will work, but it's silly as you can get a 37" lcd tv for way less than a 30" cinema and it'll look just as good

Thing is, I've got an old 30" cinema display that I don't use nearly as much as I'd like. I was thinking, I could get just as much work done if I connected my Mac to a smaller display, and used the 30" as a bedroom tv or something. Connecting it to an AppleTV would be perfect, and I'd be getting some good use out of it. I just got an adapter and will post back when I try it.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
It worked!

For anyone who's interested, I just connected my Apple TV to a 30" Cinema Display using a DVI F to HDMI-M adapter. The ACD's DVI cord plugged into the adapter, which I then plugged into the Apple TV's HDMI port. I was able to play DRM-protected video content from the iTunes store, and everything looked great. Keep in mind, the resolution that the Apple TV uses is nowhere near the native resolution of the 30" ACD, so if you're sitting like eight inches from the display, it's gonna look a little more pixellated than the display does when connected to a Mac. But who ever sits that close to a TV? When I sat at a normal viewing distance, (about five feet away from the display on my couch), it looked awesome. Much, much better, in fact, than the ATV does when connected to my normal HD television. All in all I'd say this is a great way to put new life into these older ACD's.

Here is a link to the adapter I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTGVV2/ref=oss_product

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
I have a 17 MBP with EyeTV Diversity and wondered if it was possible to hook an Apple TV to it.

Im curious why you want to connect your ATV to your MBP when you could have your movies on your MBP's HDD and use front row? seems easier...

Just realised how old this thread is actually!

spazsmith

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
ATV2 with 23" Cinema Display

anyone get the ATV2 to work with any Cinema Display, esp the 23"?

kfresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007

I'm looking to do the exact same thing. I have a 23" cinema display just sitting on my desk and would like to put it in my bedroom with another ATV2 just for Netflix.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006

I try to hook up ATV2 to a 20" Cinema but get black screen, although an ATV1 works just fine.
Is the ATV2 incompatible with DVI Cinemas? Is ATV outputting YCbCr and DVI not accepting it?

Last edited:

jhinson11

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
SOLUTION!! Apple TV w/ Cinema Display 20''

I try to hook up ATV2 to a 20" Cinema but get black screen, although an ATV1 works just fine.
Is the ATV2 incompatible with DVI Cinemas? Is ATV outputting YCbCr and DVI not accepting it?

For the poor soul who scanned this whole post looking for an answer - the 20'' cinema display will accept the 1024x768 resolution put out by the apple TV2 /3

to do this (you'll want to do this on another working screen), hold "Menu" and "up" at the same time until your apple tv screen goes black - then when the various resolutions appear - scroll down until you see the one you want. It'll reset - and you can select "OK". (if your screen goes black or fuzzy, don't worry - it automatically returns to the last working setting in 21 seconds)

oh, and don't go buy any additional adapters - like I did, whatever you're using (HDMI - DVI) should be just fine.

Reactions: rankov

jamespooley

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Want to connect ATV3 to 30" Cinema Display

I have been trying to connect my apple tv to a no longer used 30" display I have. But I have had little luck. I purchased a f-DVi to m-HDMI converter which I plugged in with high hopes. But still, a black screen was my result. Please help me! Is it possible? What else do I need?

Moster Bloster

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
Force resolution setting on Apple TV 2?

Hi, I have an ATV2 connected to an old 30" Cinema Display with the ADC to DVI Power adapter and a DVI to hdmi adapter. When I power up the Apple TV I get a nice shiny apple logo and then the resolution seems to switch and the screen goes black and the power button on the monitor flashes.

Does anyone know of a way to force the ATV to keep the initial resolution?

konichiwa

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
For the poor soul who scanned this whole post looking for an answer - the 20'' cinema display will accept the 1024x768 resolution put out by the apple TV2 /3

to do this (you'll want to do this on another working screen), hold "Menu" and "up" at the same time until your apple tv screen goes black - then when the various resolutions appear - scroll down until you see the one you want. It'll reset - and you can select "OK". (if your screen goes black or fuzzy, don't worry - it automatically returns to the last working setting in 21 seconds)

oh, and don't go buy any additional adapters - like I did, whatever you're using (HDMI - DVI) should be just fine.

Hi! :) I was really relieved reading your post as I was the poor soul scanning the whole internet for an answer ;p

Unfortuantely I cant get this to work. I am connecting a Cinema Display 20" (A1081) to my Apple TV 2.gen (MC572KN/A) with a DVI-HDMI adapter. I simply get no picture on the screen. The status light on the display is lit just like nothing has been connected. I've done the trick of cycling through all the resolutions with no luck. The status light on the Apple TV just flashes twice before going back to static instead of pulsing, when I press the remote buttons.

I have also tested connecting the display to my MacBook Pro Retina with the same cable and adapter successfully.

Can you please advice me? It's SO much appreciated. Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.