Will apple tv gear up for 1080p, youtube are!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by RubbishBBspeed, Nov 13, 2009.

1. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

As yet I haven't bothered with Apple TV and in fairness to Apple why would I. The product or rather content is dismal at best. I would love to convert to ATV but it's just not really an option. (i Should add, I live in both Ireland and the UK, not the States).

So with the announcement that YouTube are gearing up for 1080p streaming, how long will Apple TV survive.

Correct me if I'm inaccurate but isn't ATV compromised by a maximum resolution of 720p. A short cry away from 1080p.

But then as I noted from upgrading some drivers. (Apple have a sneeky little widget to support RedOne....... Are Apple planning a leapfrog in technology.......) I hope so.

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/11/super-high-rez.php

2. dynaflash macrumors 68020

I honestly fail to see what one has to do with the other.

3. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

Really, what does this have to do with the Apple TV? If you don't like want the box provides then why compare it to some other random 1080p solution that you can get on other devices. Geez, another 720p vs 1080p flamewar is all we need.

4. RubbishBBspeed thread starter macrumors regular

Well assuming that if and when youtube goes 1080p they will start to negotiate with film studios and inevitably set-up an online store offering anything and everything to everyone anywhere in 1080p HD format, we have to remember Google are still looking for a revenue stream from YouTube and this is the likely candidate. Apple haven't really done enough to break down the digital rights barrier although they have done more than any-other company to date but unlike YouTube, ATV requires purchase of hardware and is restricted to iTunes. YouTube is already accessible to anyone with a computer and broadband.

After all if better quality and broader selection will be available straight from the internet. Then ATV will need to be offering something better to stay in existence.

To anybody who hasn't already bought an ATV reasons to purchase just got one step closer to an "i won't bother thank you."

5. RubbishBBspeed thread starter macrumors regular

Although I should add, I'm a bit concerned Google are becoming industry killers, which ever sector they enter into they do untold damage There latest endeavour with satnav is an attempt to destroy all competitors out there. I'm wondering is Google a bit of a trojan horse.

I genuinely would have bought an ATV long ago but with the restricted content available in the UK and the non-existent content in Ireland it is pointless to even try. I'm probably out on my own on this but I'm not a big fan of Google. Given the choice I'd steer clear of there domination.

6. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

You seem to contradict your own argument!!!!

Why pick on the Apple TV, and why are you here in the first place if you don't like what it offers?
    Why aren't you stating your propositions over in the PS3 or Xbox forums, both of which (as far as i am aware) don't offer a direct link into You Tube from their devices (save from their browsers) - even though they are more than capable of handling 1080p.

Or is it because you secretly desire the Apple TV:D
    I live in the UK and i don't think content has been a problem. All my Movies, TV Shows, Music, Photo's, etc are one click away and in fact your "trojan horse" is the way to get much more than the UK store has to offer :cool:

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

Apple TV has YouTube support, including HD on 3.0 update.

8. RubbishBBspeed thread starter macrumors regular

What part of I would have bought an ATV a long time a go did you not get.

I'm a big apple enthusiast but not a devotee. I don't worship religion and I won't worship technology. My point is, Apple are seen and seem to want to be portrayed as The trend setter and creator of the tech level to match,

They have for years been the realm of the must go to format for anyone in the film and music industry, anyone worth there salt in graphic design always seem to use mac's. And for that reason why would they restrict themselves to delivering what has become a second rate level of quality. ATV's 720p hd content vs 1080p of which has become seen to be the genuine HD standard.

Yes development in 3D and RedOne is in progress Thankfully talk of EPIC is considered non feasible except for big budget films but I believe these will take over from the likes of Blu-Ray when 500GB optical disks become available but as for tv shows with relatively normal budgets, 3D and EPIC will be out of reach and they'll stick to capping resolution at RedOne (2160p). My suspicion is, This is what apple are working in for the next generation of ATV....... hopefully. If they aren't then It would be hard to justifying the expense of the ATV box. (sadly).

As for UK content, nope it doesn't offer everything up to date, my colleagues in the states have a hole list of stuff not available on the uk site, including music, tv and movies, although mainly TV shows. And my cousins converse on how those in the states side are so far ahead of there uk counterparts.

As for PS3 and Xbox, I have neither of these so cannot comment.