Will Apple TV work well with 20" ACD?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Gunga Din, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I just picked up a 20" ACD to use along with my MBP and was wondering if anyone uses Apple TV with this same monitor. Does it work well? Movies and shows rendered properly etc? I was thinking of picking it up to use in my office when i'm doing work on the notebook.

Thanks.

2. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

I haven't tried such a setup myself, but with a DVI->HDMI adapter, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You'll have to find some way of providing audio, but with the right combination of cheap adapters from monoprice, you should be able to set it up for external speakers or headphones.

3. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

If I download HD tv shows, will they render well on a 20" ACD? Has anyone with a 20" ACD tried watching the HD tv shows off itunes store or watched movies from the store on a 20" ACD?

Does everything look ok?

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

HD TV shows on a computer look good on 20-inch ACD.

However, I'm not sure you can't hookup the Apple TV to a ACD. My guess is you can't. I tried to hookup ACD to a HD box once and it didn't work.

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The Apple TV can drive my Acer 20in DVI monitor, you shouldn't have a problem with your ACD as long as its DVI.

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

but there are different types of DVI (DVI-D DVI-I ect. ect.) not all compatable.

7. alFR macrumors 68020

It will probably work with the HDMI-DVI adapter, but I'm not sure whether you'll be able to play and HD content as AFAIK the old Cinema Displays aren't HDCP-compliant.

8. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

thx for the replies. I'm gonna pass on the Apple TV.

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It's really meant to be used with a big HD television.