Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple sometimes releases new iPads in the fall, but a question mark remains over whether that will happen in 2023. We're now into October, and if Apple plans to release iPads before the holidays, this is the month it will most likely happen. Here's what we know so far.

iPad-mini-and-Air-Feature-2.jpg

It's been almost a year since Apple released a new iPad, the last being the two refreshed iPad Pro models and the latest low-cost iPad, all released in October 2022. Going on recent tradition, new models are now long overdue.

If you look at the last decade, Apple sometimes holds an annual fall event in which it launches new Macs and iPads. While that did not happen last year, there were October events in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020, and 2021.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman recently told The MacRumors Show hosts that he does not expect Apple to hold an October event because the company does not have enough new products and features to justify it.

However, that doesn't mean we won't be seeing new iPads from Apple this year. Apple could choose to release new models via press release instead, like it did in January 2023 for the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models and the second-generation HomePod. At the same time, Apple may not have any new models forthcoming this side of Christmas 2023. So what do the rumors say?

Rumors For 2023 iPads

In an article discussing stagnating global tablet demand in the second half of 2023, Taiwan-based DigiTimes said investors expected an uptick in Apple's share of the tablet market owing to orders for a "small-size" iPad in the fourth quarter. Additionally, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman earlier this year reported that an iPad mini update with a minor "spec bump" is not out of the question.

In August, the leaker known as "ShrimpApplePro" also suggested a seventh-generation iPad mini was in the works at Apple, and said that they had seen evidence that at least one new iPad model is coming this year.

10th-Gen-iPad-Feature-Fanned-Pink.jpg

According to a recent report from 9to5Mac, Apple is working on two new versions of the iPad Air 6. The site claims that Apple has four separate models in the works (two each in cellular and Wi-Fi).

Apple makes two versions of the iPad Pro because it comes in two sizes, and 9to5Mac speculates that Apple could release a larger version of the ‌iPad Air‌ to go along with the current 10.9-inch version, or debut "a more expensive model with better specs." The outlet says that its sources believe the ‌iPad mini‌ 7 is coming "soon," but the report also says that all of the new iPads are on track to be announced "between now and WWDC 2024 in June," which is a wide window.

Apple last updated the iPad Air in March 2022 with the M1 chip. If the iPad Air were to be updated with the M2 chip one year after the iPad Pro, that would point to an October 2023 launch. However, a later launch in 2024 is possible.

It's worth noting that Apple has updated the entry-level iPad on an annual basis since 2017, so there will either be an 11th-generation iPad released later this year, or Apple will break a six-year tradition.

Rumors Against 2023 iPads

Apple during its August earnings call warned that ‌iPad‌ revenue is expected to drop double digits, suggesting it does not expect to have products to entice customers during the holiday quarter beyond the recently launched iPhone 15 series and new Apple Watch models.

iPad-mini-AND-Air-Feature.jpg

That is in line with some rumors, which indicate major new ‌iPad‌ launches are not expected until 2024. In January, established Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the next iPad mini would likely enter mass production in the first quarter of 2024. More recently, Kuo said he does not expect any new iPad models this year. Likewise, multiple rumors suggest iPad Pro‌ models with OLED displays and M3 chips won't be coming until 2024.

One other thing to consider is the introduction of Apple's Vision Pro headset. According to Apple, the Vision Pro will go on sale in early 2024, which likely means January to late April. Note that the Vision Pro uses an M2 chip. If Apple's $3,500 headset launched with a processor that is inferior to those already powering iPad Pro models, that may seem strange to the average consumer.

Summing Up

Summing up, we could see at least one iPad unveiled in October, perhaps an iPad mini, an iPad Air, or an 11th-generation low-cost ‌iPad‌, but these will be minor refreshes. It would be reasonable for at least one or two of these models to be updated in October 2023, but 2024 launches cannot be ruled out.

Article Link: Will Apple Unveil New iPads in 2023? Here's Your October Rumor Update

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015

Apple sometimes releases new iPads in the fall, but a question mark remains over whether that will happen in 2023. We're now into October, and if Apple plans to release iPads before the holidays, this is the month it will most likely happen. Here's what we know so far.

ipad-fall-2022-lineup.jpg

It's been almost a year since Apple released a new iPad, the last being the two refreshed iPad Pro models and the latest low-cost iPad, all released in October 2022. Going on recent tradition, new models are now long overdue.

If you look at the last decade, Apple sometimes holds an annual fall event in which it launches new Macs and iPads. While that did not happen last year, there were October events in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020, and 2021.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman recently told The MacRumors Show hosts that he does not expect Apple to hold an October event because the company does not have enough new products and features to justify it.

However, that doesn't mean we won't be seeing new iPads from Apple this year. Apple could choose to release new models via press release instead, like it did in January 2023 for the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models and the second-generation HomePod. At the same time, Apple may not have any new models forthcoming this side of Christmas 2023. So what do the rumors say?

Rumors For 2023 iPads

In an article discussing stagnating global tablet demand in the second half of 2023, Taiwan-based DigiTimes said investors expected an uptick in Apple's share of the tablet market owing to orders for a "small-size" iPad in the fourth quarter. Additionally, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman earlier this year reported that an iPad mini update with a minor "spec bump" is not out of the question.

10th-Gen-iPad-Feature-Fanned-Pink.jpg

Apple is working on two new versions of the iPad Air 6, according to a recent report from 9to5Mac. The site claims that Apple has four separate models in the works (two each in cellular and Wi-Fi).

Apple makes two versions of the iPad Pro because it comes in two sizes, and 9to5Mac speculates that Apple could release a larger version of the ‌iPad Air‌ to go along with the current 10.9-inch version, or debut "a more expensive model with better specs." 9to5Mac says that its sources believe the ‌iPad mini‌ 7 is coming "soon," but the report also says that all of the new iPads are on track to be announced "between now and WWDC 2024 in June," which is a wide window.

Apple last updated the iPad Air in March 2022 with the M1 chip. If the iPad Air were to be updated with the M2 chip one year after the iPad Pro, that would point to an October 2023 launch. However, a later launch in 2024 is possible.

It's worth noting that Apple has updated the entry-level iPad on an annual basis since 2017, so there will either be an 11th-generation iPad released later this year, or Apple will break a six-year tradition.

Rumors Against 2023 iPads

Apple during its August earnings call warned that ‌iPad‌ revenue is expected to drop double digits, suggesting it does not expect to have products to entice customers during the holiday quarter beyond the recently launched iPhone 15 series and new Apple Watch models.

iPad-mini-AND-Air-Feature.jpg

That is in line with some rumors, which indicate major new ‌iPad‌ launches are not expected until 2024. In January, established Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the next iPad mini would likely enter mass production in the first quarter of 2024. More recently, Kuo said he does not expect any new iPad models this year. Likewise, multiple rumors suggest iPad Pro‌ models with OLED displays and M3 chips won't be coming until 2024.

One other thing to consider is the introduction of Apple's Vision Pro headset. According to Apple, the Vision Pro will go on sale in early 2024, which likely means January to late April. Note that the Vision Pro uses an M2 chip. If Apple's $3,500 headset launched with a processor that is inferior to those already powering iPad Pro models, that may seem strange to the average consumer.

Summing Up

Summing up, we could see at least one iPad unveiled in October, perhaps an iPad mini, an iPad Air, or an 11th-generation low-cost ‌iPad‌, but these will be minor refreshes. It would be reasonable for at least one or two of these models to be updated in October 2023, but 2024 launches cannot be ruled out.

Article Link: Will Apple Unveil New iPads in 2023? Here's Your October Rumor Update
If they can fix the damn jelly scrolling on the mini that alone will be worth the trade in and upgrade. Now in a perfect world, we would get a Mini pro with faceID, a M level processor and 120HZ. It be a dream if it was an OLED Screen but i doubt it.

Right now if they just fix the jelly scrolling id be happy because yes i can see it and it makes me feel like i have a defective product when i know i dont thats just poor quality control from apple!

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I'm hoping Apple has an October event to release an update to AirPods Max.
I got a feeling they're coming soon with usb-c, but I doubt they'll have an event for it. They didn't have an event when first introducing them; just a press release. Hopefully they include some other accessories in the press release, like the magic trackpad and mouse.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
List of devices that are most likely to refresh before 2024:

- 2020 HomePod mini S5
- 2020 AirPods Max H1*
- 2021 iPad mini A15 Bionic
- 2021 Airpods H1*
- 2022 iPad Air M1
- 2022 iPhone SE A15 Bionic*
- 2022 Apple Watch SE S8
- 2022 iPad A14 Bionic
- 2022 Apple TV 4K A15 Bionic

*All refreshed devices using Lightning ports will transition to USB-C ports in compliance to EU law.

The newer Apple chips are the M2, H2, S9, A16 Bionic & A17 Pro.

To exceed USB-C 480Mbps data speeds will require a A17 Pro chip.

The 1st 5nm Apple chip is the A14 Bionic while the 1st 3nm Apple chip is the A17 Pro.

Last edited:

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I know loads of folk have good uses for iPads - I had the 2018 12.9" Pro and I recently sold it as it was just collecting dust. I can't seem to work without macOS effectively, all I did on it was watch movies when I travelled which wasn't often. iPad rumours just don't do it for me anymore!
Sounds like the solution is for you to travel more often.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I know loads of folk have good uses for iPads - I had the 2018 12.9" Pro and I recently sold it as it was just collecting dust. I can't seem to work without macOS effectively, all I did on it was watch movies when I travelled which wasn't often. iPad rumours just don't do it for me anymore!
Tablets are generally content consumption so I'd point to the cheapest iPad that will use the A15 Bionic chip when it gets refreshed.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I think a bump up to M2 for the basic iPad is the least we can expect.

I don’t know how you guys cope with the M1… it’s laggy like crazy. You talk about jelly scrolling. Worse is checkerboard background as the anemic M1 tries to render a Wikipedia page. Navigating the menus is a nightmare.

😜

mikebenton

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
I got a feeling they're coming soon with usb-c, but I doubt they'll have an event for it. They didn't have an event when first introducing them; just a press release. Hopefully they include some other accessories in the press release, like the magic trackpad and mouse.
Yeah....sorry. I didn't mean an event just for the AirPods. Just that they have an event so possibly the AirPods become just another item that gets updated like what happened at the iPhone event last month.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
If they can fix the damn jelly scrolling on the mini that alone will be worth the trade in and upgrade. Now in a perfect world, we would get a Mini pro with faceID, a M level processor and 120HZ. It be a dream if it was an OLED Screen but i doubt it.

Right now if they just fix the jelly scrolling id be happy because yes i can see it and it makes me feel like i have a defective product when i know i dont thats just poor quality control from apple!
Agree on the jelly scrolling. No reason for them to not solve that asap.

But if they want to really increase sales on the mini, they would make it thinner and lighter. An “Air Mini” per se. Fix the jelly scrolling, use titanium to make it light and strong, and a minor speed bump, and then you’ve got a winner! Doctors, lawyers, and IT professionals will eat it up as well as road warriors such as electricians, plumbers, and anyone else who travel from site to site, take photos, sign documents, and invoice on site. It’ll be small and light enough to comfortably fit in a suit pocket and rugged enough to toss in the back seat of a pickup or store with your tools.

Quotageek

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2023
Biggest issue for me is jelly scrolling on iPad mini. Won’t buy one because of it. Not that I need one. But I Wouldn’t recommend it. I thought it was being over exaggerated until I saw it in person.

Besides that, just small updates to prep iPads for future on device, and smarter, Siri or other AI and I’d be more than happy. My A12Z iPad Pro works just fine for my use case. My iPhone 15 Pro Max does the heavy lifting. I don’t see needing to upgrade my iPad Pro until I need a new chip to run LLM’s or AI that can make the device and my use of it better by miles.

If I were Apple, Id be pouring tons of money into software optimization and optimization and uses for LLM’S/AI and what it would take to get it to run on device.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Ya we need usb c mac accessories. Can't believe we still don't have them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.