Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Waiting for a new 11" iPad Pro with OLED screen and new design !
You’re way behind the times

I’m waiting for iPad Pro Maxi Max with 60 inch micro LED screen.

It doubles up as a TV and Haptic Touch turns it into a trampoline for the kids. Its battery is so big that it never needs charging.

• Haha
Reactions: iLLUMI

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
They cannot innovate anymore so nothing much to release.

The only true innovation right now that Apple should be chasing would be a major OS update. The iPad OS is long in the tooth and in some ways embarrassing. It’s a supercharged device with a operating system that can’t take advantage of its power. I would far rather see that improvement than any new tablet device.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
The only true innovation right now that Apple should be chasing would be a major OS update. The iPad OS is long in the tooth and in some ways embarrassing. It’s a supercharged device with an operating system that can’t take advantage of its power. I would far rather see that improvement than any new tablet device.
I’d love to see some sort of Samsung dex-like functionality

A half way house that can be activated if a user wishes to have a more MacOS like experience on iPad.

It would be a real game changer

Reactions: Stenik

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I think a bump up to M2 for the basic iPad is the least we can expect.

I don’t know how you guys cope with the M1… it’s laggy like crazy. You talk about jelly scrolling. Worse is checkerboard background as the anemic M1 tries to render a Wikipedia page. Navigating the menus is a nightmare.

😜
Yeah laggy like crazy when playing demanding games. We need M7 STAT. :rolleyes:

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Apple has held November events as well, MacRumors. Although, I wouldn’t expect it. It is possible they wait until next year to refresh, but then, do they skip the M2 entirely and move onto the M3?

I always thought it was strange that the Reality Pro would not carry an M3 out of the gate.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Apple has held November events as well, MacRumors. Although, I wouldn’t expect it. It is possible they wait until next year to refresh, but then, do they skip the M2 entirely and move onto the M3?

I always thought it was strange that the Reality Pro would not carry an M3 out of the gate.
I think by this point M4 is the big cheese we’d all be after. I’d says skip M3 entirely and just go to M4. But then M5 wouldn’t be far behind that. So they could decide to skip to M6. But you have to admit, by then M6 will be meh and M7 would probably be a better option. For longevity I’d advise to wait for the big M10. Who cares about M8 or M9 when the big M10 is just around the corner.

But then you have to ask yourself, would you have been better waiting for M11, or dare I say M12 🤔

Sometimes it’s good to wait a little as something good is just around the corner.

In the meantime I’ll stick with my Apple Newton.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
A little off-topic, but, how come there are basically no leaks of Apple Vision Pro yet? It's been out for months in the hands of devs now.... I mean, no hands on hardware review, no screen recordings.. nothing!

Any explanation, anyone?

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I can't believe that people are still questioning the iPad's existence.

I mean, I get it if it's not for you, but the rest of us don't want to whip out a Mac to do certain things.

And you cannot draw, sign docs, edit things, etc. with the Pencil on a Mac.

The iPad is more than enough for some people, although for me it's a companion device to the Mac.

Extra screen real estate, couch and travel buddy, (casual) game, art and music (creation) machine.

I love it, and I'm glad Apple offers lots of flavors, price points and sizes for it.

I have a 12.9" I used as my main computer until I bought the M2 MBA, my wife and daughter have an 11" Pro (I think that's the best size personally), and my younger (adult) son has a (latest) mini he takes EVERYWHERE.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
A little off-topic, but, how come there are basically no leaks of Apple Vision Pro yet? It's been out for months in the hands of devs now.... I mean, no hands on hardware review, no screen recordings.. nothing!

Any explanation, anyone?
Everyone knows you need a vision pro headset to be able to see the vision pro. So if you don’t have one, you can’t see it.

They did hand some developer units out, but no one told them they were augmented reality versions. You can only see them if you’re wearing the vision pro.

In any case, it’s M2 so it’s meh. Last years tech.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Can’t innovate any more? My ass.

IMG_0039.jpeg

Last edited:

AbieloAltair

Suspended
Oct 4, 2023
No new Pros are coming until OLED in 2024, so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple propped up the mid tier iPad Air with some new features to make it the most attractive model for the next several months so that iPad doesn't drop too much in sales volume.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Why limit yourself by A15. Just get a fire tablet. They work great for streaming media and great for playing back stored content
Display quality and the fella may want the latest chip for the cheapest device.

I have a buddy who had a 2016 iPhone SE & 2017 Dell Inspiron 15 3567 with TN display.

He complained that his eyes ached when using the Dell. Told him to get 2020 MBA M1 or 2021 iMac M1.

He replaced it with a 2020 iPhone 12 & 2022 Acer Aspire 3 with TN display.

Asked him if the iPhone's AMOLED display is superior to the TN... and he said I was right.

There are reasons why iPads has the most global shipments of tablets unlike any other Apple device.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
🙄 Ridiculous. Do you even know what “innovate” means?

There is rarely a real shortage of ideas. But developing ideas that are genuinely practical and beneficial is more rare as opposed to putting out something just for the sake of attention even though your idea benefits or interests no one.

Thirty years ago four-wheel-steering was an idea brought to market Honda went big on, supposedly offering more maneuverability and improved handling. It cost a lot and the benefits were minimal to negligible to the point where it was greeted with widespread indifference. it was essentially a novelty very few people were willing to pay a premium for. It didn’t take long to dusappear.

Modern computer devices—desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones—are essentially mature devices in overall form and function to the point where manufacturers are tweaking them year-to-year and adding largely pointless features.

You can’t force invention of a revolutionary game-changing idea. It comes after prolonged periods of research and tweaking resulting in occasional inspiration for something different from convention. And then it also has to be worthwhile and not just a pointless novelty.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Agree on the jelly scrolling. No reason for them to not solve that asap.

But if they want to really increase sales on the mini, they would make it thinner and lighter. An “Air Mini” per se. Fix the jelly scrolling, use titanium to make it light and strong, and a minor speed bump, and then you’ve got a winner! Doctors, lawyers, and IT professionals will eat it up as well as road warriors such as electricians, plumbers, and anyone else who travel from site to site, take photos, sign documents, and invoice on site. It’ll be small and light enough to comfortably fit in a suit pocket and rugged enough to toss in the back seat of a pickup or store with your tools.

I have a 6, see the jelly scroll (far overblown IMO, usually by people without one, who have only read about it in forums), and NEVER wish it was any thinner or lighter. It is already quite thin and light as is... already fits in a suit pocket and is also rugged enough to toss around.

To combat the jelly, slow blink during a rapid scroll or just look away for a second until the page is already scrolling. If I want to maximize the effect, I can focus on seeing it, but really: no big deal. Should Apple address it in the next generation? Of course!

A problem with always wanting "thinner & lighter" is the camera. While the tech guts could move toward being only a few millimeters thick, the camera must have enough depth for the physics of photography to work. 6 has already given up a flush camera. A thinner 7 would have to have much more camera bulge unless we want thinner at the expense of camera quality. There is no magical way to thin camera depth too to keep up with some march towards sheet of paper thin... which would also eventually sacrifice that "rugged" goal too.

Reactions: snak-atak

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Who buys minis anymore? Little kids?

Some people consider the Mini the ideal iPad size: much larger than iPhone MAX screen (don't let the inches numbers fool you) but much more portable than any other iPad.

I'm 6'6" and my cellular iPad Mini gets used every day, standing in for iPhone with Voip app and buds with mic for calls. It works great for all of my telephony purposes.

Last edited:

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I think they need to redesign this… it just looks dumb. And sorry, but it just doesn’t seem very apple like… its features are great, but its design is terrible.
But it is innovative.. :p

I poke fun at this because it's such a goofy picture. I think we will just get used to it when it in the real world. It's kind of like those Apple ID doofus avatar's (Memoji's or whatever they are called) - that I am now so used to seeing that my brain just sort of tunes them out.

I don't spend a lot of time in shared spaces when I am using my Oculus because it's really just a personal game console. Vision Pro, in theory, could replace my laptop or TV, so they have to find some way for me to connect with others if I am expected to wear it more. This isn't a bad solution. It's not a good solution either, but we're not even at V1.0, so other solutions will emerge over time.

Sevenfeet

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
I'm hoping for this month for a release. My wife wants a new iPad for work and I'm telling her either a Mini or iPad Air would be the best for her. But I don't want to buy right now until we know later this month whether there will be updates to either or not.

d4cloo

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016
Los Angeles
They created a new, proprietary CPU/GPU for their entire product range with industry leading performance-per-watts a few years back. They’ve announced a spatial computing device to plant a flag in the market space, knowing they have to innovate over time to build a market.

They are pretty damn innovative IMHO. It’s just that some product categories are in a mature state, like the iPad. Ofcourse they can’t bring radical new stuff to the table every year. That’s even unwanted by the buyers, who see it as a commodity product.

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
I’d like to see 120hz (or at least 90hz) added to all their mid-tier products, including the Air.

60hz looks laggy with the animation speeds they’re using these days. It was fine on a 4 inch screen with slower animations but it’s so obvious now. Apple is all about UI/UX, a fluid experience should be the baseline for all their products.

Their hardware otherwise exudes luxury. With as much as they care about their software experience, why would they even let it be seen on a choppy 60z display? It just hurts their brand 🤷🏼‍♀️

Only thing I can think of is they truly can’t produce them at the scale needed, but I think they could figure that out if they really wanted to, with the influence they have on the supply chain

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.