Will Apple update the 13inch macbook pro again at WWDC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AreYouIn?, Apr 23, 2010.

1. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I know they updated the aluminum Macbooks last year and re-named them Pros. I'm trying to decided if I should go ahead and buy one of the newly updated ones next month or wait until the education tax holiday weekend in my state in early August. If they are going to update them in June then I will wait.

I've got a 3 year old white macbook that works perfectly still except for the fact that everyone in my house uses it since all of their windows computers are so buggy. So I'm getting me a new one for my senior year of college and they can fight over the white one. :p

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No. It took 10 months for Apple to update them so there won't be another update before September at the earliest.

MacBook may get updated but it'll be pretty much the same as base 13" MBP is now

3. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

I highly doubt they'll re-update their pro line anytime soon.

4. kolax macrumors G3

They nothing to update it with.

El Jobso made it clear that they didn't want to use the crappy Intel HD graphics just to stick in a Core i3/i5 in there. There's not enough room for a dedicated card either (in terms of heat etc).

Reason behind all this is because of the nVidia Intel licensing fiasco; Intel refused to let nVidia make chipsets for the iX series, and you have to have the Intel HD graphics with the iX series.

Performance between the i3 and Core 2 Duo's they put in the new 13" MacBook Pro's aren't big really. Depending on what you are doing (amount of threads) the Core 2 Duo was sometimes faster because of the higher clock speed.

5. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

they may update the regular macbook, but they won't update the macbook pro till october or November.

6. AreYouIn? thread starter macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Thanks guys. I guess it just comes down to whether I want to pay sales tax for it. I'll only be using it for school work and web browsing really. Occasionally I play with photoshop but not enough to get the larger pros. I just don't want another white book because the one I have now is crackig and chipping where the magnets connect. It looks horrible.

7. Kelt macrumors newbie

But, they can change "Core2Duo" to "Core i5" in this year or in next year? I mean, that purchase macbook pro 13 today its not a good deal, if you want laptop for 2-3 years.
    Thats true?
    Sorry for my crappy english.

8. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Only if you are only worried about specs and not real world usablility. Any current macbook, pro or otherwise, is fast enough for MOST things and should last for a few years.

9. kolax macrumors G3

You'd be stuck with Intel HD integrated graphics if they did that.

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Why can't they use ATI? Or is there no such thing as an ATI integrated graphics?

11. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

... or resell value

not if they wanted to and redesigned the unibody to fit a 330. perhaps by removing the superdrive. not in its current form no.

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

They would have to use AMD mobile processors, which suck, since AMD owns ATI. AMD doesn’t make a chipset for Intel processors (obviously).

Intel just needs to buy NVIDIA and get it over with.

13. kolax macrumors G3

You have to use the Intel HD graphics on the Core iX series. Doesn't matter if you have an ATI or nVidia dedicated GPU to go with it though.

They'd have to find room for another fan. It is a lot of farthing around just to get the Core iX series in there.. just because Intel doesn't want anyone else making chipsets to go with their CPUs.

It's no wonder Apple is looking at AMD as a potential candidate to replace Intel for Macs.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AMD would be huge downgrade, especially in laptops. Their fastest mobile chip is 2.4GHz dual core AFAIK, slower than the C2D in the base 13".

It's just a rumor. I don't personally believe on it

15. kolax macrumors G3

That's their current lineup.

Apple may have inside information on what AMD has to offer and it could be big.

16. Kelt macrumors newbie

Why they cant give core i5 with nvidia graphics to 13' as in 15' and 17' macbook pro? Nvidia 320m and 330m both discrete, so whats the problem?

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah but Intel made faster mobile CPUs in 2007!

I know AMD is releaseing new mobile CPUs next month but they still max out at 2.8GHz (dual core). AMD is simply behind Intel in everything. Sure their chips are cheaper but do you really want tech that is several years old?

Apple wouldn't lower the prices anyway, no matter does the making of MacBook cost 100$ or 800$.

18. kolax macrumors G3

The GeForce 320m is integrated. The 330m is discrete.