Will Apple use ATI graphics in future MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chase R, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

The dispute between Intel and nVidia has left Apple between a rock and a hard place: Faster graphics, slower processor – slower graphics, faster processor.

With the next refresh of the MBP, and the C2D on its LAST-LEG, what do you think Apple plan is for the next 13"? ATI graphics?

I don't think Apple is going to offer a 13" with just Intel integrated graphics. And I highly doubt they will be using the C2D, again.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

ATI's dynamic switchable graphics appear to still be a work in progress. Otherwise taking out the optical drive in the Macbook Pro 13" would be the only solution to free up enough internal space to allow for a discrete video solution.

You would end up with a thicker 13.3" MacBook Air. Think about that one. Apple backed into that corner with nVidia.

3. asdf542 macrumors 6502

It's possible but the last time Apple used ATI err... AMD in their notebooks was 2006. Although with Bobcat around the corner this may change.

Isn't the graphic switching in OS X based solely on when OpenGL, OpenCL, Quartz Composer, Core Animation and Core Graphics are used?

4. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

True, a discrete solution would require a third chip (southbridge). Apple's pretty good at shrinking chipsets, though. I could see them figuring out a way to fit a southbridge, CPU, and GPU on the board.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

have you seen them on the inside? their jammed. having a southbridge too would be at the cost of battery capacity.

6. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

It won't happen. ATI is now AMD, and Intel won't license the Arrandale platform to a competitor. Heck, nVidia can't even make chipsets for the i series CPUs, which is why the 13" MBP and MBAs are still using Core 2 CPUs.

7. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

Well then, do you think Apple will continue to use the C2D/nVidia platform in the next update?

8. asdf542 macrumors 6502

Uhh, just because they had a name change doesn't mean you can't use discrete AMD cards with Intel CPU's. If Apple uses Bobcat which is an AMD processor and AMD's IGP in one package then it could work fine.

9. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

So you think Apple will start using AMD CPUs in their computers? The reason I'm saying they wont use AMD/ATI graphics is because of Intel, not Apple. Intel is unwilling to license the Arrandale platform because it wants PC makers using their integrated GPUs. All of this is Intel trying to make a monopoly on the IGP market.

Until Intel decides to start letting companies like nVidia and AMD license the Arrandale platform, or a court rules against Intel, you won't see non-Intel IGP chipsets paired with Arrandale processors.

10. asdf542 macrumors 6502

Everyone already knows that Intel's IGP is the only option on Arrandale, which is why yes... I am suggesting that Apple uses AMD CPU's. :rolleyes:

Hence why I said Bobcat.

11. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I think that particular issues will mostly get resolved with the release of sandybridge. Although in most benchmarks sandybridge is an incremental increase over its arrandale counterparts for nehalem architecture, sandybridge's main selling point is its integrated graphics performance is around the same performance as 320m.

Also, given that apple will most likely be utilizing stick configuration flash memory as SSDs, future apple notebooks might have the room for discrete graphics that they previously didn't have.

12. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

And since Sandy Bridge has the integrated graphics in the same die, Apple could throw in a discrete GPU for more power. Regardless of the use of HDD/SSD or flash memory like the MBA.

13. DJ-R macrumors regular

DJ-R

Intel should GIVE up on making it owns GPU just because they see AMD adapted ATI...

Intel stick with CPU otherwise you are making a BIG MESS!

Intel Graphic is not even near any good. It's like back in 1998 computer graphic power.

14. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

If you like their GPU solutions or not it's still a big part of their business. Yea, compared to other integrated GPUs they aren't great. They work fine in entry level notebooks and netbooks.

15. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Apple will not be changing to MBA style storage for Sandy Bridge. The costs would either be too prohibitive or storage capacities would suffer greatly. Apple charges $650 for a 256GB SSD.

16. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

This would require 3 chips on the board though (CPU, GPU, and Southbridge)... something that would be really hard to fit in a 13" and why it currently does not have a discrete GPU.