Will Apple Watch 2.0 Fix Notifications?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Klaatu63, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Klaatu63 macrumors regular

Klaatu63

I have been trying to resolve a problem with inconsistent notifications on my Apple Watch. I have given up with Mail notifications but would like to see Message notifications. To date I have tried the following:
    Returned the watch and purchased a replacement.
    Reset both watch and iPhone (5s)
    Repaired the watch and iPhone.
    Tried to mirror my iPhone notification settings in iPhone Watch app.
    Tried custom notification settings in iPhone Watch app
    After numerious support calls to Apple they suggested that the fix will be included in Watch 2.0 software.

Has anyone currently testing the 2.0 software confirm that the notification function has been permanently fixed?

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

What exactly is wrong with your notifications? Mine appear to work perfectly with iMessage, email, and other apps.

3. Klaatu63 thread starter macrumors regular

Klaatu63

If I go through the reset reset repair cycle I will receive message notifications for a few hours and then nothing. My iPhone 5s is set to lock in thirty seconds. My sense with Apple Support is that this is very common problem and suggest that I wait for 2.0.

4. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Is your phone locked or unlocked when you are failing to receive notifications? If your phone is unlocked, you will not get any notifications on your watch... but I'll assume you already know that.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get any fix to your issue, but like @exxxviii I don't have any issues with my notifications, so I'm afraid I'm likely not going to be of much help.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I know on my first two AW that the tapper was very weak. Sometimes rebooting the watch would make it tap like it should but slowly it would stop. My third AW the haptic tapper works like a charm and I hardly ever fail to feel it.

6. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

My notifications work perfect as they should. Your thread title suggests that many are having notification problems ? I had no idea notifications are an issue, hope you get it sorted out soon

Sorry I can't help

7. papbot macrumors 6502

Notifications with the current software are quite variable. The Messages' one is something I think just about everyone has experienced at least once, most likely more. Several of my news apps will frequently not trigger a sound or tap with a notification, and then later that same app may well work correctly.

Most notification issues for me are solved by turning off Allow Notifications for the app on my phone and then turning it back on. Sometimes though I just let it go and either by a phone or watch restart or just for no reason the notification behaves normally.

Quite variable and hopefully more consistent with the new software.

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This did remind me of one notification behavior that I have observed, and I wonder if it is at root here...

I have my phone connected to several Exchange accounts, and I know from several years of use that my phone will alert me of the email arrival nearly simultaneously of when my computer alerts for the same email.

However, I often do not get the watch notification for a minute or more after the Exchange email arrives. (In some cases, I have already read and deleted the message from Outlook before the watch pings me.) So, this leads me to think that notifications may be substantially delayed at least for email, and maybe other notifications as well. If you unlock your phone before the delay, I bet you intercept your watch from ever receiving the notification.

I just did a control and a couple tests. With my phone awake, I sent an Exchange test message. Both Outlook and phone notified immediately. Then, I put the phone in lock and sent another message. The watch notified about 60 seconds late. Last, I put the phone in lock mode, sent a message, and then I unlocked the phone and read the message on the phone. No notification on the watch. So, I wonder if notifications are getting in a delay purgatory and not coming because people are first viewing them on their phones.

That said, to my knowledge, I have not missed any email, message, or other notifications on the watch. They may not have been timely, but they always arrive.