Will Apple Watch be an annual release?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 3rdiguy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I hope this product gets updated every two years rather be a new model every year with 2016 being version 2. Time will tell…

2. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Agree, I really hope so too. A watch is something that's supposed to last years and years.

3. Lefty21 macrumors regular

I see what you did there. Time will tell...watches tell time...I'll show myself out now.

4. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Does it really matter? You can always sell the previous version if you want the latest and greatest and people will still pay a ****load of money for it like they do for a year-old iPhone.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm guessing it will be at least initially, if the battery is really only a day they are going to want to get that up as fast as possible to make it more usable. After a few generations they might slow down, but I would think that the kind of people that want to buy a smart watch are the same kind that always want to have the latest and greatest technology so there will be a lot of pressure for them to update it regularly.

6. Sonmi451 Suspended

It's probably just going to get a little thinner and better battery life over time. I would expect updates every couple of years or so. It doesn't follow any cellular subsidy cycle, so you're certainly not going to see them follow a pattern like the iPhone does currently.

I also to expect it to work without being tethered to your phone. Maybe separate GPS chip and some stuff like that. And it will sync to your phone later.

7. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

I expect it'll be a yearly update. Howcever, I think it'll not get a redesign every year/two years. I'll be more like the Mac where the design is updated every 3-4 years. However, I think 'bigger' updates for the Apple Watch will be times to be not in a year when there's a new iPhone. Therefore, when there's an iPhone 'S' version, there'll be a fairly big Apple Watch update, yet there'll be a smaller one where it's a big iPhone update.